We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

Which Amman hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
Level Contributor
318 posts
298 reviews
Save Topic
Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

We will come in late Sunday night ( 1:30 am ). How far is it to the Dead Sea versus Amman. Is going to the Dead Sea putting us far out of the way to Petra. Thank you for any help

Amman Jordan
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

Dead Sea is about 40 mins. away from Amman. Stay in Dead Sea if you want to get nearer in Petra.

Fontainebleau
Destination Expert
for Petra - Wadi Musa
Level Contributor
2,886 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

The Dead Sea is noticeably further from the airport than Amman, although I am not quite sure just how far. Have you considered staying in Madaba instead of Amman? This is much closer to the airport, and also to the Dead Sea.

The Dead Sea is right round a corner for Petra.

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
131 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

From you message, are you going to Petra the next day, if so,there is an airport hotel, Golden Tulip at the airport which will save you 30 minutes from Amman to Petra.

From the Dead Sea to Petra is approx 2.5 to 3 hour driving on the speed and approx the same distance from Amman, it is a triangle location.

Airport to the Dead Sea is approx 50 minutes

Airport to Madaba is approx. 20 minutes

Airport to Amman is approx 30 minutes.

I drive them all the time at the speed limit.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Sydney, Uluru-Kata Tjuta National Park, Business Travel, New South Wales
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

Hi,

These links may also assist you - my Go-lists - regarding additional info.

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i12010-Trip_Rep…

tripadvisor.com/GoListDetail-i21344-Petra.ht…

If driving from the Dead Sea along the Kings Highway takes approx 3 hrs drive through some very stunning mountainous scenery.

Amman Jordan
Level Contributor
134 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

Thanks for the insight MJin....

Ohio
Level Contributor
318 posts
298 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

We changed our plans and will be coming in around 11:30 am. Would you suggest going straight to Petra? How far is it from the airport? Or would you spend a night at the dead sea then a night in Petra. I hear the Dead sea is amazing. Thank you. I don't want to back track.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

I thought the Dead Sea to be a must do experience.

Amman to the Dead Sea ( Ishtar ) approx one hour.

Amman via Desert Hwy to Petra - approx 3hrs.

You won't be back tracking, you can drive from the airport to the Dead Sea stay overnight & then continue onto Petra the next day.

Sugar Land, Texas
Level Contributor
1 post
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

I am planning to go to Jordan in late June - I will be in Saudi Arabia on business and wanted to take a side trip to Jordan. My first question is - as a woman traveling alone, will that be a problem going to Jordan? From what I understand, I can get a VISA at the airport in Jordan once I arrive. Also, how would I go about booking a tour to Petra - should I do that from the hotel I stay at? I plan to stay at a hotel by the Dead Sea and then do a tour to Petra. Knowing that this will be the height of the summer I am hoping it won't be too terribly uncomfortable.

Any ideas/suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
30,038 posts
1,381 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

Hi,

a) " as a woman traveling alone, will that be a problem going to Jordan " - no Jordan is a very safe place to travel through & the people are very friendly.

b) I can get a VISA at the airport in Jordan once I arrive - It depends on what country you are coming from. ? Some nationalities require an entry visa to Jordan prior to travel. Most have to just pay the Visa fee on arrival.

visitjordan.com/visitjordan_cms/…Default.aspx

c) Hotels will arrange tours or a driver for you from the Dead Sea. I would let them beforehand via email you require a tour.

10. Re: Dead Sea or Amman from airport to Petra

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 14 May 2011, 13:05
Edited: 14 May 2011, 13:05