We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Topic
Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

Hi. I have looked all over the forum and have a great rec for a private driver, but I am curious about the cost.

We land at 6am and will want to go straight to Petra. Since we wont' be doing any sights on the drive, I just want what is cheapest. In your opinion how much is a taxi to Petra and how much is a private driver?

Also - we will do Wadi RUm after, and then will want to do the driving sights on the kings Hwy en route back to Amman. FOr this I will need a private driver and will do that. But how long does it take to leave Wadi Rum, see the Dead Sea, Mt Nebo, Kerak, and Madaba? What time should I leave Wadi? We actually have a flight that night at 4am, so we have a full day to do it all. Any suggestions as to when to start, how long to be at each, where to hang out before the flight at 4am?

THANKS!!!

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

Hi Sandi,

Let me understand, you are saying you like to do all this in one day!!!!

From Amman to Petra 2.5 Hour minimum, 3 hours at Petra, 2 hours to Wadi Rum, 2 hours at Wadi Rum, it becomes 4:00 PM (sun sets at 6:00 PM), means you have only 2 hours of sun light, at night you can't see nothing from the Kings Highway, all touristic sites are closed after 4:00 PM.

You can drive to the Dead Sea and go to the beach for couple of hours and then to Amman for a night tour/hang out then to the airport, you should be there at 2:00 AM.

The best thing is a private driver how knows well the sites and the roads.

Do not hesitate to ask for any question.

Good Luck

Omar

Edited: 05 March 2013, 20:53
2. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 21:35
3. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 05 March 2013, 22:05
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

No, sorry, not one day!!

We land thurs at 6am and want to get to Petra right away. Stay thurs night and all day Friday, probably fri night. Fri night or Saturday head to wadi rum and stay night Saturday. Sunday drive to see all the sights I mentioned - Dead Sea, etc. fly out 4am.

What time do we leave Sunday to do all the sights? How much is a private driver vs a taxi for going straight to Petra from airport on the first day?

Petra - Wadi Musa...
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

while you will stay 3 days 2 nights this is a good program

1st day : Airport - Madaba - Dead Sea - Ak Karak Castle - Dana Nature Reserve - Wadi Musa - and you enjoy the Petra By Night because it be on Thursday Night from 8:30 - 10:30 PM.

2nd day (Friday ): Visit Petra Full Day.

3rd Day ( Saturday ) Little Petra - Wadi Rum Full Day - Air Port

Best Regards

Ahmad Zarei >>>

Edited: 05 March 2013, 21:42
Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

No, we are going immediately to Petra from the airport on thursday. That is not negotiable.

I am asking about the rest of the trip. I am asking how much a taxi is vs a private driver to get us from amman airport to petra on thursday morning.

secondly, I am asking about how long it will take to leave wadi rum on day 4 and see all the other sights along the way, bearing in mind that we fly out at 4am that night (next day).

Please answer those questions.

Thanks!

Petra - Wadi Musa...
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

taxi and the private driver not big deference prices, Taxi from the airport maybe 70-80 , Driver about JD 90 .

from wadi rum , need about 3 hours to start tour in Kings Way , may be you need 3 Hours in kings way to reach the Dead Sea , then spend your full time on dead Sea , until Sun Set, after That you can you to have a rest in a hotel in Dead Sea to relax, or go to Amman to sea the City and have a dinner , I prefer try that on Hashim Restaurant,

Best Regards

Ahmad Zarei,

Aqaba, Jordan
Level Contributor
2,697 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

sandiUK,

- Queen Alia to Petra , you can take a certified airport taxi with a fixed price, it was around the 70-80 JOD a few months ago..

- private drivers wil charge the same or more as,petrol prices have gone up twice in the last two months.

- the road trip down to Wadi Musa (Petra) will be around 2 and half hours. Make sure you tell the driver it is a direct drive,, as they do sometimes have the tendency to stop at a rest house.

- Petra to Rum is around 1 hr. 20 minutes.

for your trip back to Amman. the kings highway will take back through Wadi Musa, then onto Shoback, Tafilah, Karak and Madaba.

Mt. Nebo and the Dead Sea are not on the kings highway,,,, it can be done by going from Karak to the Dead Sea/Zara highway,,,, then climbing up to Mt. Nebo and onto Madaba for the last 20 minutes of your drive. I would plan a whole day for that drive ( that's with the sightseeing).

you ca hang out in Amman's Rainbow Street for a few hours before heading back to the airport for a 2 am check-in.

ciao

A99

Amman, Jordan
Level Contributor
224 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

Hi Sandi,

Now it's clear, You will arrive Thursday morning and leaving Monday morning and you have three nights.

Day 1 Direct to Petra, visit and overnight (ride about 110-120$)

Day 2 Visit Petra or Little Petra and at 3:00 PM drive south to Wadi Rum, Jeep ride and sunset, overnight tourist camp Wadi Rum (ride 50$)

Day 3 Drive north KH, Kerak, Madaba, Mount Nebo and Dead Sea you can be there at 3:00 PM (ride140$)

Day 4 Relax and visit to Jerash just 50 Km from Amman and back to Amman, tour/hang out then to the airport (ride 120$)

I think this itinerary gives you the max, and the best thing to do is to have a private driver to stay with you all time, my be it’s little more expensive but you will be free to do changes and to enjoy your trip.

Good Luck

Omar

Copenhagen, Denmark
Level Contributor
289 posts
334 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Cost of taxi vs private driver to Petra and itinerary quest

Thank you all so much for your information, this is really quite helpful! I had information overload and was second guessing the order to do things, but I think the time frames are what I needed. Omar, I think your itinerary looks great, thank you so much!!