We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

"Torn between two Hotels"

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
"Torn between two Hotels"

Hi! We are traveling to Manama on 1st week of May 2011. I can't decide wether I will choose Radison or Gulf Hotel! Please help, we will celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary though it is 3 weeks late! Which one is better for this occassion, many thanks!

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
1,850 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

I think its depends on what are you looking for. What activities are you looking for? I never stayed on those two properties other than hanging in their lobbies.

Berkshire, United...
Destination Expert
for Prague, Bohemia
Level Contributor
37,276 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

If you want a great outdoor space try Ritz Carlton - very nice hotel on the beach

Bahrain
Level Contributor
17 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

If those are your only two choices I would say go for Gulf Hotel, its more close to many tourist attractions (Grand Mosque, Block 338 which is packed with International restaurants, Juffair again many nightlife entertainment), check also www.bahrainadvisor.com you will find plent of info on Bahrain.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
15 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

I would go with the Gulf Hotel for two reasons:

1. Choice and quality of restaurants at the hotel.

2. Also, if it's not too hot, there is a nice outside pool area and gym.

I note you're in Jeddah - if you're not having a 'dry' holiday, the Typhoon bar is really nice for a more intimate drink as a couple, rather than the more 'laddish' Sherlock Holmes. If you're staying in the hotel for a week and planning to eat in house quite a lot, ask their guest relations to tell you about their Prestige club - you pay to join, but this entitles you to vouchers for free nights, room upgrades, free drinks and discounts on meals etc. as well as 50% off all food bills when 2 of you are dining in. Not sure if this will be worthwhile if you're on a 'package' but if you're booking direct, it could save you some money.

If you can, get an upgrade to the Executive Floor - the lounge is very nice with views across Manama and the food and drink priveleges make it pay for itself in the long run.

Another advantage to the Gulf is that it's very close to the dining area of Adliya, so if it's not too hot/humid, you could walk (one way at least). Try the Meat Co. for steaks/grills and the best wine list in town (apologies for offence if you are non-drinkers) and Cafe Lilou for salads, cakes and lighter lunches with fresh juices and unusual teas.

This said, I can't tell you much about the Radisson, since I haven't been there in an age - maybe that says enough about it, as it's on my doorstep.

Finally, if you're in town for a friday brunch, try the Movenpick by the Airport for the best quality brunch in town.

Let me know if I can help with anything else (spa/nail stuff for wife? That sort of thing).

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

Many thanks for all the pointers guys!!!! At least I got those opinions from people who were there.

Manama, Bahrain
10 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

I highly recommend Ritz Carlton, but if those are the 2 choice you have then choose Gulf Hotel you wont go wrong.

Manama
6 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

Hi!

Completely agree with MrsSpicer, the Gulf Hotel is really offering a large choice of facilities (lagoon pool, sthg like 12 restaurants, salon, gym, even sqaush and tenis) and is very well located to get a good feeling of Bahrain!

Stayed there a few times before moving to Bahrain, they were doing very good week-end rates at that time!

Level Contributor
1 post
13 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

I have stayed at The Gulf hotel and would thoroughly recommend it for its selubrious atmosphere and fantastic places to eat. The pool area is lovely too and very restful. We liked this hotel so much that we have booked to go back for 2 weeks in September!!

Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
19 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

Many thanks guys! But with the situation now in Bahrain I do not know if our May getaway there will pursue. I hope things are better that time.

10. Re: "Torn between two Hotels"

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 October 2012, 03:16