We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

HI TA Members

Guys do you think it will be safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/ Nov 2011. I was in Bahrain in 2009 due meetings I only stayed for a few days and left.

This time round I would like to spend a week in the kingdom. I really liked Bahrain it really seemed interesting place to visit.

I am very concern about the unrest taking place I am reading news reports that not safe to travel and there is a curfew in place.

I would like to get your feed back.

Regards

Lion-heart

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Be Lion hearted! I cannot crystal gaze, but as of now, it is very safe for visitors, especially if you avoid a couple of areas. Whereabouts are you planning to visit/ what do you want to see?

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Hi Amelie,

Firstly I wanted to thank you for responding back to my forum question I will be staying in capital Manama for a week.

This summer I am travel to few countries, just before I return back to London I wanted to stop over to Bahrain for a week.

As I stated in my forum I was in the kingdom in 2009 but did not have time to see anything) this time round I wanted to visit the museums the grand mosque the tree of life * lastly the Bahrain fort.

In the past mostly young man from kingdom of Saudi Arabia would visit Bahrain for the weekends for party girl’s drinks. But as am a western I have this all at my home city) I wanted see the culture side of kingdom and learn more about Arabian world.

Amelie are you sure it’s safe, the news is showing a bad picture where the security is tight and my own government travel advise states you should not travel to kingdom yet.

Amelie are you in the kingdom now – or you have friends there?

Lionheart

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

it is safe, and i would take the travel advisory with a pinch of salt.

That said, there are definitely a few areas to be avoided(of no interest to tourists anyways, so no danger of straying accidentally).

there is a 'uk in bahrain' page on FB where people contribute with happenings. As you can see, most happenings are restricted to a few neighbourhoods at the moment.

That said, if you are asking about this now, as you want to book tickets that may not be changed later, then maybe it is better that you re-examine your reasons to visit and priorities.

For me, I would take the risk, but then i also went on crazy backpacking travels on my own- definitely not on most ppls risk appetite.

If it would worry you to know that there was violence happening in some other part of a (small) country, then I would suggest dont come.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Thank you for responding back to my replies.

I am grateful that you told me about UK in Bahrain FB I had a look and it seems interesting, of causes I will keep eye on it.

There is of-cause areas in Bahrain that I would not travel to especial in shia areas which of-courses there is no tourist sites.

I had not booked my tickets yet, I am waiting for summer sales hopeful that should be taking place in 3 weeks time then I will make my decision, if I should travel to Bahrain or not.

The reason why I am bit worried is because all violence saw on TV, don’t forget F1 in Bahrain was put on hold & many holidaymakers have put Bahrain on hold. Airport is fine from what I understand and transit will not effect tourist going to 3rd countries.

I am deeply grateful for all your replies, I just wanted to know do you use Skype.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Please be aware that Brits now get 2 week visas and not 3 month visas when arriving into Bahrain. New policy

Arenas de San...
Level Contributor
747 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Dubai Inc, not true anymore. Brits will get the standard 3 mos visa if they are persistent at the airport with the immigration. As stated in the GDN, by the MEA sometime this week.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Dxb) The information you have received is wrong – Both UK Ministry MFA) Foreign Affairs & Bahrain Immigration states that UK national will get 3 months visa upon arrival.

If you want 6 months visa you can Upton it from Bahrain Embassy in London.

Now if the visa rules have changed I am sure the Ministry of foreign Affairs MFA) in Bahrain, would have contacting the British Embassy in Bahrain.

I have enclosed you both UK Travel Advise to Bahrain & Bahrain E-Visa which part of Bahrain Immigration services.

I personal used the E-visa services and upton my visa within 15 hours of applying) max time is 72 hours) I got 3 months visa in Bahrain

UK Travel advice to Bahrain

fco.gov.uk/en/…

Bahrain E- Visa

1. Click purpose of visit, chose tourism

2. click you nationality

3. you will see UK national will get 3 months visa

The reason why British national get 3 months visa to Bahrain, UK has very close friendship with Bahrain) British have always been welcomed in Bahrain)

Irish national get 3 months visa) Ireland once upon time was part of UK)

https://www.evisa.gov.bh/VISA/VisaInput.jsp

Dxb who told that UK national will get 2 weeks visa) forget the word of mouth if things change I am sure UK will be informed - things are the same)

Last year Qatar wanted to change its visa rules

The British Embassy was informed by Qatar MFA) but then Qatar put an hold on to it) Qatar wanted to stop Visa for western nationals in Doha airport) all western states to apply for visa at Embassy or online using Qatar E- Visa) at the end to much pressure came it was stooped) ) I don't know if things will change i am sure UK MFA will know.

Amelie thinks are getting better in Bahrain that great sign.

London, United...
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

I have looked into the matter regarding visa policy to Bahrain) it was Gulf Daily reporting that British Embassy was informed UK national will be grated 2 weeks visa) but Bahrain Immigration said) UK national can apply for 72 hours visa 2 weeks and 3 months.

Hopeful on Tuesday when Bahrain Embassy in London opens will get in touch with them find out rights visa information) I am sure it will stated that UK national will be grated 3 months visa as Immigration in Bahrain said.

Dubai
Destination Expert
for Dubai, Bahrain, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
2,462 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Thanks for the clarificaton, and god to know

Boulder, Colorado
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: Safe to travel to Bahrain in Oct/Nov 2011.

Hi,

I'm fairly certain that getting a visa won't be an issue and you can get it online. As for safety, I'm more than optimist that things will blow over by October. I live in Bahrain so I'll be back there in July. I'll see how things are there firsthand.