We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

Davos, Switzerland
2 posts
Save Topic
Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

Hi,

I am a 35 year old man and have two nationalities, the one of Switzerland and the one of Iran. My mother is swiss, my father iranian. I live and work in Switzerland.

In July 2011 I will travel to Iran. The issue I have is that my last name in my iranian passport is different to the last name I have in my swiss passport.

For example, in my iranian passport the name is "Andre Agassi", but the name in my swiss passport is "Andre Sampras".

Obviously when I will travel to Iran from Switzerland, I will buy the flight ticket under "Andre Sampras" and travel with my swiss passport. When entering Iran I will show my iranian passport under "Andre Agassi"

When exiting Iran to come back to Switzerland, I guess I should show once more my iranian passport but then travel again with the swiss.

I believe this should be fine like this, but would like to hear your opinions about this.

thanks, regards,

Andre

Brighton, United...
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

I was wondering if you found the answer to your question as nobody seems to have replied. I have a dual nationality too and was thinking to take my husband's surname for the UK passport and leave my maiden name in my Georgian passport

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

Andre agassi ?

he is a famous Tennis player .

anyway why dont u buy the ticket with ur Iranian name .

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
321 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

>> anyway why dont u buy the ticket with ur Iranian name

I dare assume because the credit cards are all issued in the Swiss name.

Hi Irma,

Your case is different from the one of the OP (original poster), because none of your dual nationalities is Iranian. So what is it exactly bothering you? Just take that passport, which will be less problematic for you to use.

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
293 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

Dear keanu82

As you are an Iranian person, you must travel with your Iranian passport.

If you can change your flight ticket's name all will be alright, otherwise I think you will not have any problem and you can take your two passports and show your Switzerland passport when you want to take on the plane.

That is fine I think

Bests,

Parisa

parisa@irantravelingcenter.com

Dutchess County NY
Level Contributor
8 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

I think Parisa is right. Iran doesn't care what name is on your tickets -- Iran just looks at your documents when you enter immigration control. The entity that cares about your name on the tickets is the airline. I have dual Iranian/US passports, and showed my US passport flying into and out of Amsterdam, then my Iranian passport entering Iran. When I left, I showed my Iranian passport to KLM who immediately insisted on seeing my US passport. Then, when I went through Iranian immigration leaving the country I just gave them the Iranian passport. Plus, my Iranian passport has a different first name than my US one, and no one minded.

6. Re: Dual citizenship with different last names in passports

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 09:18