We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reviews of desert lodges

Singapore
6 posts
Save Topic
Reviews of desert lodges

I'm looking to spend around 2 nights in/near the desert for my upcoming trip.

Has anyone had any experience with the Ateshooni lodge in Garmeh or Barandaz Lodge in Mesr, both of which are highly recommended in the LP guidebook? Both sound like they would be my cup of tea, but I'm interested in hearing what others have to say about them, and knowing more about them.

Their websites are not exactly helpful, and Googling only provides links to the guidebook, and/or links to now-deleted Thorntree posts :| (Google Cache was of no help for these either.)

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Hey waywardmatrix,

When exactly are you planning to make it?

These areas will be a part of my next trip, too, but I now seem to have to re-schedule mine.

Singapore
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Hey Cora, I'm looking at some time in April, depending on whether or not I can get off from work.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

I'll keep in touch then, if you don't mind - whoever makes it first :)

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Hi,

I was at Ateshooni lodge in Garmeh some three weeks ago and I highly recommend it.

Best thing is nice atmosphere when they play music besides fire during the evening.

Food is good.

Do not expect much comfort.

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Ateshooni is great, food is excellent, Maziar is a legend. Barandaz is in a tiny village while Ateshooni is in Garmeh with a couple things to do there. But both are excellent.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Vekiv and lordnapier; many thanks for the feedback!

I eventually opted for Yemen this year (and had my full share of eco-lodges there! :) But am still looking forward to coming back to the deserts of Iran. So your information about the lodges is very valuable.

What are the sleeping facilities there, please? Would a sleeping bag be needed, in your opinion? Is there electricity available?

Thanks a lot!

Zagreb, Croatia
Level Contributor
23 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

No sleeping bag needed, and they have normal electricity. Hard beds on the floor.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Noted. Thank you very much!

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Dear waywardmatrix,

based on my experiences , both are good although Atrshoni has more experiences in tourism .apart form them, I want to suggest you another one,which in my opinion is amazing.

It is shadad camp near kerman .

It is located in A about 25 km of Shahdad ,There is a beautiful camp with some local handmade cottages and a big yard with many beds to sleep in. It is free of charge and the best times to sleep in open air are from 20 Mar until 21 May and From 25 Aug until 6 Nov.

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,670 posts
320 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reviews of desert lodges

Thank you very much, Maryam! Take note of it for my trip, too.