We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Auckland, Auckland...
1 post
2 reviews
Save Topic
Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

My mother and I were booked to do the Dragoman 'Silk Route Overland through Turkey, Iran & Turkmenistan' tour, starting on 27th June, 2013. We chose Dragoman (despite the bad review they have on Tripadvisor) because we wanted to go to Iran and it also going via Turkmenistan was a great bonus.

On the 19th Feb, Dragoman emailed me saying that the trip is being "improved", by which they meant it is no longer going via Iran.

The email said that the change "directly follows changes made to the to the [sic] British FCO advice for Iran and is written as ‘We advise against travel to Iran. British nationals have been arbitrarily detained in Iran in 2010 and 2011 and we now judge that the risk of this occurring again in the current circumstances following the imposition of the further EU sanctions on Iran, is significant.'"

It referred me to the FCO website but this said that the "advice has been reviewed and reissued with amendments to the Entry Requirements section (Yellow Fever). [However] The overall level of the advice has not changed."

The British nationals were detained in 2010 and 2011. The EU sanctions have been in place since July 2012. The virtually unchanged ‘advice against all travel to Iran’ warning would have been in place before I booked my trip in November 2012.

Dragoman has ignored my emails asking for the real reason the tour was changed.

They initially said I wasn’t even due a refund for the cost of the tour.

While I fully accept that I'm responsible for organising my own flights to/from the start/end locations of the tour but they also refused to pay the cost for me to change my flights after I found another (and better) tour operator.

They have also refused to give any compensation for no longer being able to use my (non-refundable) flight from Turkmenistan.

At least, an apology from Dragoman would have been nice. Instead, they have been a nightmare to deal with and what was meant to be a great holiday with my mother (her 60th Birthday gift) it has become a huge stress and incredibly expensive. Booking was a mistake so, please, don’t do the same...

kuwait
Level Contributor
188 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Maybe its good if you post the same in Turkemenstan and Turkey fourms too.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Aaron

Your tour was meant to be inTurkey , Iran and Turkmenistan . You mean they took the same amount of money for 3 country but are going to organize only 2 country ?

Zzi
Melbourne, Australia
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Actually april5p, by not going via Iran, the tour will be going to Turkey, Georgia, Azerbaijan and Turkmenistan, so technically the OP paid for 3 countries and got 4 for the same price. That's not really the point though, and not what the OP is complaining about.

Napa, California
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Thanks I HAD them a maybe for April 2014. Not now thanks

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Have been considering Dragoman for the Silk Road tour later this year. Can you tell me who the other (and better) tour operator is?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
2 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

Have been considering Dragoman for the Silk Road tour later this year. Can you tell me who the other (and better) tour operator is?

7. Re: Warning! Dragoman Silk Route Overland Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2015, 05:17