We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

British male travelling alone in Iran

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
British male travelling alone in Iran

I have just finished two and a half week's travel in Iran.

I am the exact person that the British Government says NOT to go: 33yr old white British male travelling alone.

I just want to say that I had a wonderful and problem-free time over there and would love to be of assistance to anything that may help others like me to be able to enjoy the country as I was able to - it really is fantastic.

Feel free to ask any questions :)

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
188 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Hello Dave and thanks for introducing real Iran .

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Dave

Which cities did you visit ? Did you go to Kerman area and klauts ?

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Hi April,

I did the typical tourist route of Tehran-Kashan-Esfahan-Yazd-Shiraz.

I also did Abayoneh and Natanz. A German I met there also spent time with the nomads outside Yazd.

The plan was to go to Kermin and Bam although I just figured the length of the journey to get there was maybe a bit much this time.

I met an American in Esfahan with a guide, a 22yr old Canadian travelling alone, a British lady from Kent travelling with friends from Tehran, and plenty of Germans/Italians/others.

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
457 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

hello, I'll have a couple of questions,

what means did you use? bus, train, plane

which hotel did you stay? and how much did you spend?

you rented taxi all day to take you around? if you what you paid for?

shall visit Iran in August, I know it's hot, but I know I'll find 'a splendid place!

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Hey Fabrizio,

BUS: I travelled around bus between cities - the longest journey I did was Yazd>Shiraz which took about 7hrs.

I only took Hamsafar/VIP buses which never cost more than 10€ and are well air conditioned and come with a little packed lunch. I didn't book any in advance - I just arrived at the coach station and usually never waited more than 40mins (for major cities)

PLANE: I flew Shiraz>Tehran which I booked two days before and paid about 30€.

TAXI: I took a guided taxi from Kashan>Esfahan for 50€ visiting Abanyeh and Natanz

HOTELS: I stayed both in hotels and in people's houses. The following hotels were all very nice and very affordable (between 10€ and 25€ a night).

Tehran: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g293999-d1213…

Kashan: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g680023-d3368…

Esfahan: I wouldn't recommend the place I stayed

Yazd: http://www.panoramio.com/photo/20744255 (not on TripAdvisor but was lovely)

Shiraz: tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g316021-d5829…

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
457 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

hello,

thanks your valuable information,

hotel prices are for one person I guess ... right?

then you took a private taxi for the whole day from Kashan to Isfahan visiting the city 'around?

you shot the countries around Yazd or just the city '?

I read that increased ticket prices for tourist attractions, and 'is not it?

20 days and I thought I was three days in Shiraz then take a bus at night and go to Isfahan, do you think there are too many 3 days complete? you happen to have also visited Qom?

thank you very much, I do not want to bother you, thanks

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

So much valuable information evn for me who have been born and raised in Tehran. Haven't been back since 84 and may take a trip at end of yer for few weeks.

My only concern is the pollution and people possibly smoking around you.

Thank you all.

Homayoon

London, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

I have no problem at all answering questions. I would add that I agree with almost all the information provided in the Aug 2012 version of Lonely Planet (apart from couchsurfing - some people seem to think that's illegal so it was a bit confusing. Although I did couchsurf too and it was great).

Hotel prices were for one person, but prices are probably based on the room. I would stay sometimes in double rooms for 25€.

The taxi I took was about 2hrs from Esfahan and we stopped for another two hours in Abanyeh and Natanz.

My journey was a very typical tourist route: Tehran>Kashan>Esfahan>Yazd>Shiraz.

Yes, prices are different for tourists but you should never pay more than about 4€ for entry to anything. The price is different because the financial imbalance is so significant and deteorating. I saw an Italian guy asking to speak to the manager about this. In my mind it is only right that both Iranian's and foreigners should be able to visit places kept in good condition for affordable prices. 4€ is affordable for us Europeans is it not?

I think 3-4 days in Shiraz and Esfahan is fine. I didn't visit Qom.

UK
Level Contributor
105 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Homayoon:

Pollution is not as bad as you’d think (Tehran is probably the worst for pollution but not much worse than any other big city) and I’m never aware of people smoking, except narghile pipes in teahouses.

Of course, unusual weather conditions sometimes 'trap' traffic fumes in Iranian cities but that can happen anywhere. Those are the stories which hit the headlines worldwide. Were you thinking of the few days last winter when people in Esfahan were advised to leave the city if they could?

Irvine, California
Level Contributor
57 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: British male travelling alone in Iran

Nice to hear it is not as bad. I am border line allergic to fume and simply get sick.

Stayed at a cousin house in London and got sick the first morning due to light cigarette smoke in the house.

As you said the pollution is a common issue in big cities.

I am excited to plan a visit After almost 30 years and can not get enough from tripadvisor.

Thanks much for reply

Homayoon