We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Ajax
7 posts
Save Topic
Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hello,

My flight will arrive IKA around 9pm and I need to take a taxi to a hotel downtown. Can I pay by USD ? Is it too late to exchange local currency after 9pm?

Will appreicate your comment/help. Thank you.

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hi

The Taxi drivers will be more than happy cuz US $ has increased radically in past 2 month but you'd better pay in rials.

As far as I know one exchange office and the bank are open until late at night. So at 9, you will probably get some rials. Just exchange as much as you need cuz at banks you get a very lower rate (official rate).

Later you can exchnage at exchange offices in town like Ferdowsi square or Naser khosro.

The Taxi like Samand have a fixed rate 250000 rials which is about 13- 14 $ (reg current rate19000 for a $). At banks you get like 112000 for 1 $.

Still check the offices as the rate is very volatile and changes even in 1 day.

Just avoid the balck market. besides being risky, it is now totally illegal and the police are around in plain clothes.

regards,

Mojtaba

Kyiv
Level Contributor
21,672 posts
324 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hi GL P,

It shouldn't be too late at all.

Say, my flight arrived at past 4am, and with the time needed to get VOA and pass through formalities I must have exited at about 5am or so.

Bank outlet downstairs, by the luggage pick-up, was open no problem. And the ex-rate was quite decent – pretty much equal to the one in downtown.

Have a nice trip :)

Shiraz, Iran
Level Contributor
1,321 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hi

Iranian rials is quite unpredictable these days. It just increased as a result of increasing interest rates. Now 1 $ equals to 17000. The purchase rate is about 16000.

regards,

Mojtaba

Shiraz, Iran
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hi

I have to say that there are two banks in IKA and they work 24 hours a day and you will face no problems for currency exchange but the official rate is very low.

The taxis accept USD and Euro as well. You can take a Camry Taxi for IRR300.000 which equals $15 (according to current rate).

Regards,

PTA

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Hello

If you come out from Terminal B there is a Bank Melli before you come out thefrom the luggage check point and its open 24 hours . if you come out from terminal A you can also change your money at the bank inside the main hall .

Ajax
7 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Thank you very much for your advice.

I wonder if you can tell me if I should go directly out to the taxi stand or there is a ground transportation desk I should register with. Will there be signs in English or that I can find my way around easily. And how will I find out about the taxi fare - meters or verbally by the driver before or after the ride?

Thanks again for your comments.

Tehran, Iran
Level Contributor
191 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

There is a Taxi service desk inside the main hall (near Terminal B) ,you can use it . you can ask the information desk or ask one of the travellers in the airport to help you .

if you take a Samand car its 250000rials a and the fare for toyota is 300000rials .

the price is fixed for inside Tehran but sometimes they may add a 50000rials .

Ajax
7 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

Thank you for all these helpful tips....

9. Re: Currency Exchange @ IKA & Taxi fare

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 27 March 2013, 09:23