We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safety in Lebanon

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Safety in Lebanon

I have a question about safety in Lebanon for American tourists - or, in fact, any tourist. I am an American citizen who has traveled widely, and my tendency is to be skeptical about the US Government's travel warnings about Americans traveling to Lebanon (and Syria) because I understand the politics and ideology that are often behind such warnings.

Are any of you Americans who have recently (let us say, since January 2009) traveled in Lebanon? What have been your experiences?

Impressions from those who aren't American would also be appreciated.

Thank you.

Prague
Level Contributor
178 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Safety in Lebanon

I am not american, visiting lebanon at least one time per year and I didn't feel unsecure on any of my visit. I was not there during civil war but during several Lebanon / "israel" conflicts and even during this (or last israel/palestine conflict this winter) I was not feeling unsafe at all.

regarding people-people relationship Lebanon seems to me as safest than any europe country.

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Thank you, Heebicka. I appreciate your opinion.

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Hi Gereth,

It would be a good idea to rent a car and visit the following towns:

Jeita grotto, the shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon in Harissa, Byblos with its phoenician ruins and crusader castle, Tripoli with its caravanserail and St Gilles crusader castle, Bsharre and the Cedars forest, roman temple and museum in Baalbeck, Ommayades ruins in Anjar, Kefraya, Ksara and Massaya wineries in the Bekaa valley, Beiteddine palace in Beiteddine, Moussa castle, Marie Baz wax museum in Deir el Qamar and also of special interest is the visit of the crusader castle in Sidon and the roman amphitheater in Tyre.

You can use Beiurt as a base for all your one day trip in Lebanon.

Best regards

Gaby

Connecticut
Level Contributor
57 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Gaby,

Thank you very much for your suggested itinerary.

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
254 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Gereth-Hello fellow CT person. I had the same question and was told my a Lebanese friend of mine that it is indeed very safe. I am hoping to go around this time next year. When are you planning on going? Id love to hear about your experience. -Lindsay

Beirut
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Hey Gereth,

Tourists are treated exceptionally well in Lebanon, so do not worry about safety here. Tourists are actually protected even more-so than locals, because of their value to the country and the country's continuous efforts at appealing to tourists from every country.

The crime/homicide rate in Lebanon is actually low compared to other countries, including the States. There is always the "ghetto" where you are bound to find mischief, but around the city, it is completely safe to walk around alone... at any time during the day or night. No one usually bothers to do anything.

However, you should be careful if you're driving in Lebanon, as there is a high rate of car accidents and a not-so-good traffic coordination. This, however, is not the case in and around downtown Beirut, and most other busy cities where there is always traffic cops on the watch and the streets are equipped with stop lights and speed bumps. It only applies to towns and villages that do not have well-maintained roads.

I hope I was of help

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
254 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Safety in Lebanon

I hope Obama makes things easier for us :)

New York City
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Thanks, Belime. Your perspective is very helpful, as are the details. I sincerely appreciate your time and attention., I have been hearing only good things and, in fact, exactly what I not only want to hear, of course, but also exactly what I expected to hear. Take care.

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,352 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Hello Gereth,

Here are some entrance fees in Lebanese Pound adopted in archeological sites in Lebanon:

Majdal Anjar Stronghold: 3000

Tyre Ruins: 6000

Anjar Fortifications: 6000

Baalbeck Temples: 12000

Tripoli Castle: 7500

Sidon Castle: 4000

Tebnine Castle: 3000

Byblos Castle: 6000

Niha Fortress: 4000

Beiteddine Palace: 7500

Faqra Ruins: 3000

National Museum: 5000

Thanks and best regards

Gaby

New England
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Safety in Lebanon

Hi Gereth,

I'm an American from Rhode Island and my wife is from Lebanon originally. We just returned from my first trip to meet her family and to vacation. Had a fantastic time. It is a lovely

country in many ways. The traditional food is fantastic, tasty and healthy. There is a lot of great night life. We enjoyed the Buddah Bar in downtown Beirut greatly, but there is a minimum charge per person..a most unique night spot. I most often found the people to be friendly and very sociable and love to ask how you are enjoying lebanon. Jeita Grotto caverns is very popular and a Must See. Amazing! The only time I felt a bit uneasy was while adjusting to the very agressive drivers on many of the secondary roadways (auto-strad highway was fine). The political situation at the moment seems relatively good. Have a great time if you go.