We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Topic
Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi All,

Ive been told that Lebanon is safe, however I will be traveling alone. I may join a group tour if I can find one, or on daily tours. Is it ok for women to travel alone there? Also as far as attire goes is there anything I should/shouldnt wear (aside from the obvious) thank you!

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi,

It would be a good idea to rent a car and visit the following major sites in Lebanon:

Jeita grotto, the shrine of Our Lady of Lebanon in Harissa, Byblos with its phoenician ruins and crusader castle, Tripoli with its caravanserail and St Gilles crusader castle, Bsharre and the very nearby Cedars forest, roman temple and museum in Baalbeck, Ommayades ruins in Anjar, Kefraya, Ksara and Massaya wineries in the Bekaa valley, Beiteddine palace in Beiteddine, Moussa castle and Marie Baz wax museum in Deir el Qamar in the central Chouf region and also the sea crusader castle in Sidon and the roman amphitheater in Tyre are worth a visit.

You can use Beirut as a base for any one day trip in Lebanon and wear whatever you like

Best regards

Gaby

damascus
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

ur welcome if you want visit syria

let me now when u here ?

speroco@yahoo.com

sami

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi Sami

I want to go to Syria also but the visa is rather expensive and I dont know if I would soend much time there for it to be worth it. I heard it is $140USD for the visa!

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi,

A dress code is required to enter places of worship and selected museums. No shorts or sleeveless tops allowed, knee and shoulders must be covered for both men and women. You may risk refused entry if you fail to comply with these dress requirements.

Regards

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Thank you Gaby-what about just in public? I dont want to stand out like a sore thumb. :)

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi,

In public and on the street wear normal clothes.

Regards

Gaby

Beirut
2 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

There is no "dress code" in Lebanon. Women are free to wear whatever they want, unless ofcourse, they are bound by specific religious reasons.

Whatever you can wear in the States, you can wear in Lebanon, much like you can in any other European country. The government laws pertain only to citizen rights and obligations and do not relate to the privacy of their bodies and how they wish to dress up.

You should enjoy it, as most/all people are able to communicate in English, and the country as a whole has a more European feel to it than what is expected. No camels, and all that!

Norwalk, Connecticut
Level Contributor
250 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Darnit, I like camels ;) Thank you, much appreciated.

Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
2,221 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

Hi,

Here are some entrance fees in Lebanese Pound adopted in archeological sites in Lebanon:

Majdal Anjar Stronghold: 3000

Tyre Ruins: 6000

Anjar Fortifications: 6000

Baalbeck Temples: 12000

Tripoli Castle: 7500

Sidon Castle: 4000

Tebnine Castle: 3000

Byblos Castle: 6000

Niha Fortress: 4000

Beiteddine Palace: 7500

Faqra Ruins: 3000

National Museum: 5000

Best regards

Gaby

10. Re: Safe for American woman traveling alone?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 December 2009, 05:20