We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Hi I am going to Beirut in Late February to March 2013. Why is it that I read so many negative things about Lebanon, yet when I talk with my friend there or read this trip advisors input I see that there is nothing to be afraid of? Is this just public paranoia? I am from the US, does that matter/ Thank You in advance.

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
80 reviews
57 helpful votes
1. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

There is nothing to be afraid of while visiting Lebanon wherever your nationality is.. Just avoid approaching any part of the border between Lebanon and Syria.

Thanks

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
2. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Thanks Gaby...please stay in touch! I am excited!!!!

3. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Tripadvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

What are forum guidelines?
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
4. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Thank you Mohamed, Question please, is there any need for any vaccinations, or issues with drinking water? A friend came back from Jordon and became very ill from the water. I that possible and advice...don't want to get there a be sick. Any pointers on the plane trip, besides getting the person next to me to sing me to sleep...:) Thoughts.

Thanks!

Beirut, Lebanon
Destination Expert
for Lebanon
Level Contributor
4,115 posts
80 reviews
57 helpful votes
5. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Beirut water which source is from Jeita Grotto itself located in the Dog River Valley tastes good, never heard of any water contamination neither in Beirut nor in any other town.

Regards

St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
6. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Gaby... once again thanks you are a great source of information...I figured as much actually thought it was a dumb question. Thanks!!!!!

London, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
8 reviews
3 helpful votes
7. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Dear Traveller,

I live in beirut, and only ever drink bottled water. Don't attempt at drinking Tap water, especially if you are coming from abroad, and for that matter, don't eat anything from street vendors because you are probably not used to the bacteria here. In saying that though....Food here is amazing, always fresh and very tasty, so enjoy.

I moved here from Canada about six years ago, and have yet to get into any problem. People are very friendly, downtown and surrounding areas are very clean and safe, and there is nothing to worry about. Political instability comes and go's in Lebanon, and its just a matter of steering clear of areas in town that are unstable. It all comes down to common sense, so don't worry. There are more and more western tourists coming to beirut, and most restaurants and shops will have someone who speaks english to help you out.

Enjoy your trip.

Beirut, Lebanon
Level Contributor
7 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

I agree with Hibzshaw. Drink only bottled water, most of us do. Only in very few areas some people drink tap water but it's not the case in the cities. The sources of tap water are all safe yet the major problem is in the distribution and how the water gets to the users. The water usually gets contaminated on the way! On the other hand you will be one way or another consuming some tap water such as when you're having drinks with ice. Most cafes and restaurants make ice out of tap water. Drinking bottled water will minimize the exposure.

As to vaccinations, no specific vaccinations needed. Regarding the plane, 2 things to consider: what you usually like to do and the time you leave the US and arrive to Beirut. If you like to read and watch movies you will be able to have a good deal of time pass, if you can sleep it's even better so make sure you adjust your sleeping time based on the time you leave and expect to arrive. The most important is that whenever you're awake, try to walk as much as possible in the plane it will make a difference upon your arrival. You may still be tired but much less than if you didn't move.

By the way, if you're staying in downtown or Hamra area you have a chance of meeting many Americans there specially those who work or study at the American University of Beirut which is in the area.

I hope this helps and enjoy your stay!

Edited: 11 years ago
St. Petersburg...
Level Contributor
19 posts
1 review
5 helpful votes
9. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Wow...Thank you Hibzshaw and Hanna - This trip is so important to me as I will be meeting someone very special for the first time and the last thing I want is to become ill along the way.

I leave the US at around 4:20 PM, Paris, Beirut....how would you recommend I adjust my sleep habit now.? sorry not sure I have the time difference and that sort of thing squared up in my mind.

Second question, should I see a physician prior to leaving, maybe they have something to help with the bacteria difference similar to when ones leaves the US for Mexico. Thank you both very much and if you don't mind may I write again should other questions arise?

Minnesota City...
4 posts
1 review
1 helpful vote
10. Re: Feb 2013 Heading to Beirut

Is bottled water available in Tyre?

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.