We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

Zurich, Switzerland
3 posts
Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

We found Jamal through tripadvisor (see post: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g1940497-i20141-k11468972-o30-Fab_tour_guide_ever-Muscat_Muscat_Governorate.html which is now closed) and were not sure what to expect as we have not booked an independent tout guide before, however the many good reviews put us at ease.

We booked a 6 full day tour through Oman and it was a wonderful time and Jamal has been a great tour guide. His main priority has always been to provide us a great worry-free experience and he took care of anything we needed. Jamal is very open minded, freely talks about himself, the country and any questions we had about the Islam. Jamal was also curious about Switzerland, which led to a very interesting culture exchange.

We arrived the day before the tour began at 10 pm at the airport and Jamal offered to pick us up and drive us to the hotel. The next day (and any day after) he always picked us up right on time and there was never any rush during the tour, we could spend time anywhere as long as we wanted. Jamal accompanied us throughout the whole day, from swimming in Wadi shab and warning us about rocks in the water to a tour in the Nizzwa fort, where he provided historical information.

We planned to do the last tour day on a Friday as we were flying home on Saturday 2am and Jamal proposed to split the tour in two half day tours as the mosque was closed on Friday. The tour on Friday lasted till 10pm so that we did not have to wait too long at the airport!

If you are planning to go to Oman and looking for a tour guide, I can highly recommend Jamal.

Contact of Jamal: jamal3929@hotmail.com / Phone (What’s app: +968 9926 6868)

36 replies to this topic
Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
94 reviews
44 helpful votes
1. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

That's helpful thanks.

I've got a few half day tours from Muscat in mind so could do with a guide!

london
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
19 reviews
12 helpful votes
2. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

a link through to 80 posts and not once did anyone mention how much such a service costs

Is this site full of potential Rolls Royce customers who don't need to ask the price?

World
Level Contributor
7,657 posts
621 reviews
261 helpful votes
3. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

Lol. oman in general is more expensive when it comes to these things.

if you only need guide service (and not plus driver/vehicle service) then it should be 10 usd (4 omr) or less per hour. but 4x4 rental car is also not cheap in oman so things do add up if you want the service for multiple days.

try Bahwan Travels. I find their prices to be reasonable , the staff to be nice, and this company has been around for a long time. I probably should write a review abt them

Level Contributor
144 posts
1 review
4. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

There is usually information for the tour guide in the topic and you can contact him and ask him about the price and the itinerary.

london
Level Contributor
1,504 posts
19 reviews
12 helpful votes
5. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

I'm not particularly in need of a guide in Oman (I have one organised by the travel company for the group - assuming no-one tells me next week that I can't go!)

I am just interested in international comparisons and I was bemused by people complaining about guides in Oman being expensive and yet no-one suggested what that meant.

I don't consider $10 per hour to be expensive.

I hadn't thought about the need/cost of a 4x4 - I'm not looking to do a desert safari, just getting from A to B on whatever passes for normal roads. Whether that needs a 4x4 I'll find out in a few weeks.

You also have to understand my interest from the pov that not all of the groups here allow recommendations of guides at all, so I have to make my cost comparisons where I can.

thanks

Tej
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
1 helpful vote
6. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

I have read about Jamal in this topic: Fab tour guide ever

Jamal was easily accessible and very reliable. We needed to travel from UAE across the land border into Oman, requiring a 4x4 drive as well to travel to AlJabal Al Akhdar mountains - Jamal contacted us on WhatsApp regularly prior to departing UAE and checked in to make sure we had all the relevant paperwork.

He picked us up from our hotel directly, was very friendly, spoke excellent English and had loads of interesting facts and stories as we travelled through Oman, including providing us several recommendations on places to go and embrace the culture. He also stopped off at local coffee shops so we could try Omani delicacies and chai karak.

His car was in excellent condition (he has both a 4x4 and a normal car) making it a very comfortable ride (better than travelling my plane!).

He was also very good value for money when trying to compare against other transfer companies / hotels providing transfers.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
40,990 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
7. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

This thread should be shut down, because it is only advertising a special guide who obviously pays for this advertising or asks friends to post this here.

For me this would be a reason for absolutely NOT TAKE THIS GUIDE.

Level Contributor
111 posts
1 review
8. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

Reisebeate no one ask about your feedback so you have to respect the reviews of others.

Munich, Germany
Destination Expert
for Oman, California, Yukon, Chile, Argentina, Road Trips
Level Contributor
40,990 posts
7 reviews
9 helpful votes
9. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

Of course, but this is a travel forum. For the reviews there is a special part on the TA-side. Reviews don't belong to this forum and advertising is not allowed at all.

Stockport, United...
Level Contributor
1,602 posts
94 reviews
44 helpful votes
10. Re: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)

Hi ReiseBeate this is simply not true.

I found a recommendation for a guide via this thread (and a couple other names)

Based on initial contact, itineraries, speed of responses, I decided to go with Jamal and very glad I did (we just returned from our trip to Oman )

Others in my position would be stuck too without such feedback from travellers so its great to target based on Info such as the OP's Post

I fully intend to feedback my positive experience too to let others decide and can assure you money only ever flowed 1 way and there wasn't even any haggling about quid pro quo for a review!

He's an excellent guide for families based on our experience of 2 tours

Reply to: Private Tour guide in Oman (Recommendation)
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.