We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Barka?

belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Topic
what to do in Barka?

Hello,

I'm going to visit Oman this summer. My trip'll be organized by a tour operator; at the end of it I'll stay in Barka for 5 days. But I don't know what I can do there? Some places to visit?

Can someone give me some idea, please.

Thanks

Laila

Spring, Texas
Level Contributor
70 posts
146 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what to do in Barka?

I'll take a guess and say you are probably staying at the Al Sawai Beach Resort for 5 days. The Al Sawai is a bit removed from Barka proper. I haven't stayed there but stopped by once, wasn't terribly impressed. Nothing much to do in Barka proper although I've heard that diving and such are somewhat popular, after 1-2 days at the Sawai I suspect you'll wonder what the heck you are doing there if diving is not on yur list. If this was set up by your tour operator, I'd question why and I'd try to change the accomodation to Muscat, there, at least, you can find decent restaurants and you have the corniche and souk area down by the port for wandering about. There is a fort in Barka, as well as Nakhal (found the one in Nakhal to be very nice. Nakhal is left off of the main highway at the Barka exit, if coming from Muscat. Ask the attendant at the Nakhal fort how to get to the hot springs, good place for a picnic if it's not a weekend, but you need to plan ahead and bring food. Entrance fees to the forts are a pittance.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what to do in Barka?

I agree. Barka is really remote, and only two hotels close by, AlSawadi, and AlNahdha. Both are not special in any way.

Try to change to a hotel in Muscat. More to do.

belgium
Level Contributor
35 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: what to do in Barka?

hello,

Thank you to have response to my answer. Finally, I choose an other tour operator and I'll stay at Muscat.

Do you have an idea about the price of the gold jewellery? Is it expensive or cheaper?

Thanks

Laila

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what to do in Barka?

Yeah, there isn't much up in Barka. I was living in Mabellah which is in that general direction. I think they have camel races up there though.

5. Re: what to do in Barka?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 December 2009, 06:18