We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

Level Contributor
6 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

Looking at renting a car in UAE [Dubai] then driving around Oman. Would like to understand if you know of any issues in crossing the boarder with a rental car.

Do you know if the GPS units work well there, issues with renting them there?

Also, crossing in via car is getting the visa a difficult thing? Can you simply do it at the boarder anyway? If you know of any concerns or great things about driving there I would be interested to know. Thx.

Edited: 31 December 2009, 04:28
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

I can't help you much, sorry. Hopefully someone else can answer your questions.

In regards to the GPS... I would be skeptical. If you check Oman on Google Maps, most of the roads are missing. Development of infrastructure (roads, for example) is occurring fairly rapidly, and the international systems (satellites and whatnot) haven't quite seen Oman as a priority. Unless it is a specific Omani GPS, I can't imagine it would work well.

The Omani people are so friendly that they will help you more than any GPS could. I'm confident there will be plenty of people willing to point you in the right direction.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
665 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

Arabian Gulf Countries GPS does exist. All the major roads are there. Dubai and the UAE seem to be fully mapped. With regards to Oman, the major roads are all mapped out. Muscat, Sohar and Salalah have almost full road maps. Other areas, not as much.

GPS will be useful, however, make sure that the map revision is current. Dubai and Oman went through lots of infrastructure projects in the last couple of years and many of the roads changed. Specially in Dubai. My car's 5 years old GPS map is still usefull in dubai, but many of the new roads that will make things easier and will help you to avoid heavy traffic are not on the map.

Ingatestone, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

HI...we're doing a similar thing over the Easter Break so would be really keen to hear how you got on, in particular, who you rented the car from in Dubai. Is it correct that the rate increase by 50% for every day that you'r outside Dubai? If that's the case I was thinking about taking the coach from Dubai to Muscat and hiring a car in Muscat. Do you have any thoughts or words of wisdom? Thanks

4. Re: Oman Rental Car Experience and Visa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 July 2010, 05:16