We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman Holiday Info needed

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Oman Holiday Info needed

I have found a few good deals around for Oman at the end of May, am assuming it is because it will be really hot by then. Am quite tempted but need some more info before I commit. Can anyone help?

What trips are available, we particularly like wildlife and natural wonders, scenery etc?

Will it be too hot to actually do anything( can remember being in Dubai in September and it was too hot during the day to do anything but sit in the shade!)

What are costs like both in the top hotels and outside, are there many local restaurants around? Some of the hotels look quite isolated and I'm concerned that on a B&B basis if we have to eat at the hotel all the time costs will add up, would we be better to look for a hotel closer to restuarants etc.

How easy and safe is it to walk around and do things independantly?

Many thanks.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman Holiday Info needed

There are plenty of opportunities to have an "outdoorsy" vacation in Oman. The wadis provide amazing hiking and the occasional swim. You can head into the desert and go 4-wheeling, sleep under the stars, and see the occasional snake. Jebel Shems and Jebel Akhdar are two mountains near Nizwa that provide hikes and amazing scenery.

Overall, you will not be disappointed if you go to Oman.

In regards to the heat, it really depends. It gets very hot, but not to the point that you physically cannot do anything. As long as you make sure to stay hydrated and take periodic trips into an air conditioned space, you will be fine.

You can eat a full meal outside of the hotel for 3 rial. Inside the hotels you will be paying 15 or 20 rial. You should definitely plan on eating out on occasion, you will save money and the food will be better.

In Muscat it is not too easy to "walk around" due to the nature of the city. It is mostly spread along Sultan Qaboos highway. There are very few areas where you can just get out and wander, unfortunately. Regardless, it is easy to hop in a taxi to get anywhere.

Essex, UK
Level Contributor
210 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oman Holiday Info needed

Thanks greasy for the information, most useful, one hotel that seems to have a particularly good deal is the Al Waha and the Al Bandar at the Barr Al Jissah Resort. I see it has generally very good reviews but seems expensive. Do you know this hotel very well, am wondereing if we will be too cut off from everything here? Am assuming if Muscat is not really the place to go mooching around it doesn't matter if we are staying somewhere more isolated. I am assuming we would be able to book trips direct from the hotel?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
688 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oman Holiday Info needed

If you want to have a walk around and possibly eat outside the hotel, then Shangrila is not a good choice. You will be better off in intercontinental hotel.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,615 posts
386 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oman Holiday Info needed

Both the Intercontinental Al Bustan and the Shangri La complex are out of town but both run complimentary shuttle buses down to Muscat.

To be honest, most of your sightseeing will be in the day and the hotel grounds are so extensive you can have a good walk around after dinner.

I have stayed at both and have done reviews on the hotels and also posts on the cost of food and drinks.

5. Re: Oman Holiday Info needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2010, 05:17