We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

oman holiday in june - on a budget!

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Topic
oman holiday in june - on a budget!

I'd really appreciate any advice, information or experiences anyone can provide me to help plan a possible2/3 weeks trip to Oman in June. Ideally we (with my girlfriend) are looking to mix culture with sunbathing/ beach. Will it be too hot for this in June and are there many beaches where we would have no problems (local culture conflicts etc)? Also key to panning the trip is considerations of budget - we are expereinced travellers and whilst we're not backpacking as such (more usually flashpacking!) we would be travelling on as tight a budget as possible. Is there plenty of suitable cheaper rooms to rent (guest houses rather than hotels) or is camping on option at that time of year (too hot?) and it seems like a car would be a good idea - again can this be done to a tight budget? Any informatiion would be greatly recieved.

Thanks

Worcestershire
Level Contributor
39 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

Hi

Just returned from a four week trip taking in the Emirates and Oman ( 3 weeks ). We hired a car in Dubai and travelled to Musandam , East coast Emirates and then into Oman and back to Dubai.

Car hire was about £400 for the month and £30 per week for the Oman insurance.

We were there until mid March when temperatures were about max 35 min 25 pleasant in the evening but really pretty hot during the day. In June I would say air con is a must.

This really is not a budget part of the world. and in Oman tourism is still pretty high end . See Lonely planet to get an idea of prices but for a mid range hotel think £50 to £60 per night double with breakfast and taxes .

Outside of the resorts the beaches are not really developed. Little shade and outside the resorts a woman would probably feel uncomfortable in swimwear.

We enjoyed our trip and found lots of nice things to do and the people were very welcoming but to be honest, and you may get contary advice from others , if you want beaches on a budget in June I would look elsewhere.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

Taipo gave some good information, HOWEVER....

You CAN travel Oman on a budget. There are quite a few apartment building type "hotels" where you can generally stay for ~10 rial a night. They are going to be very basic, even more so than your standard Western hostel. No toilet paper (nothing unusual for the Middle East), flickering lights, etc. The main thing is that they are safe. If you think you can handle it, go for it! I'll try to think of some middle ground options for you.

The issue with staying in these budget places is that you won't have the pool or the beach. All of the Western hotels are known by the locals as where the debauchery (bikinis and whatnot) happens. As such, they stay away if they don't want to see it. You can get day passes to use the pool if you want. If you go this route, I recommend just showing up at the towel stand and asking for a pass. The price will be a fraction of what they charge you if you book it with the front desk, and still completely legit.

The other option is to get a 4x4 and head up into the wadis. You can generally find an isolated spot to get some sun. Even though you may think you have complete privacy, you should behave...

The key to traveling on a budget in the Middle East is to live the local life. You can eat for cents on the dollar if you don't mind a hole in the wall restaurant without A/C. I was in Egypt for a while, eating Koshary and Shwarma most days. One meal at a Western "lounge" on the Nile cost as much as a week of food at standard Egyptian restaurants. Its the same deal in Oman. 10+ shwarma sandwiches cost the same as a beer and a glass of whiskey at the Hyatt bar.

In regards to the heat... be ready. Its definitely doable, but you have to be smart about it. Spend ample time in the A/C cooling off, stay hydrated, use sunscreen (do as I say, not as I do... I'm always too stubborn), etc. In June you should be able to escape down to Salalah during the Monsoon season to get some tropical weather if you wish.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

Thanks for the information so far, still weighing up my options but perhaps Oman isn't suitable for what i'm after - although I am tempted to give it a go despite any reservations!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

I (obviously) absolutely love the place. I think you could definitely have a great time there. What are your reservations, if I may ask?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
658 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

Unless you are used to the heat, my advise is to skip muscat and to come back later. I would not advise sunbathing in June in Muscat. Weather changes in June and it could be very hot or mild, usualy changes from one day to the next.

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
212 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

Ideal time to visit Oman would be around December / January. Weather is very pleasant and sunny. I would not call Oman exactly a budget place. there are very few 'low cost' guest houses etc and when you find them they are of much lower quality than similar places elsewhere. Absolutely no public transport system. So you will endup hiring taxis to everywhere. Swimsuites etc other than in hotel swimming pools could attract a lot of unwanted attention.

If you want beach, sunbathing etc on a budget, I would consider some place like Goa, Sri Lanka or Thailand.

Oman's beauty is not in its beaches but in its interior, the mountains, fortresses, and deserts.

7. Re: oman holiday in june - on a budget!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 September 2010, 05:16