We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

Ontario
Level Contributor
71 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

Hiya

I am a westener, my bf is a british muslim. We want to tour the middle east, but have been have been somewhat reluctant to plan a trip, because of hotel issues. We dont want the added cost of booking two hotel rooms....

Will we "get into trouble" in Oman, if we book ONE room, but with two twin beds?

PDA are not the issue..I just dont want to have someone knocking at my door and being hauled to the police station at 2am!!

Any advice?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

Don't worry about it if you aren't Omanis. I am not sure if even then you would have issues, but you certainly won't not being nationals.

My advice: Go enjoy this amazing country!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

You should be fine.

I am an Omani and even for Omani's no official can ask what is the marital status of a couple without probable cause. It is illegal for a police officer to do so unless he has reasons to ask. It is not against the law in Oman to share a hotel room by non married couple. And that is for Omanis.

For non-Omanis, it is even easier. Nobody will ask for a marriage certificate or anything. Book one room and enjoy your holiday. You can refer to each other as husband and wife to avoid embarrassment in local markets ..etc, but even that is not a must.

Welcome to Oman and enjoy your holiday. You will find people here kind and easy going.

Muscat
4 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

Welcome to Oman....

I did not heard any issue for couples.... Unless they will make issue for themselves

Khasab, Oman
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

Im working in Dubai in a travel agency.

I know that when ever book a hotel in Duabi or Oman, they never asked for marriage certificate.Many times i went with my boyfriend to hotel in weekends and i never been asked for papaers.

Be carefull of affection on the public place: no kiss, no hold tide on the street or restaurant,. Many cases happen and went to Jail if they kiss on the street or restaurant

read www.gulfnews.com or www.7days.ae

5. Re: Unmarried Couple, male muslim, female western--sharing hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 November 2010, 07:17