We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Solo female in Oman 3nts

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
68 reviews
Save Topic
Solo female in Oman 3nts

I am flying from Dxb to Muscat for a 3nt stay in Sept. and will probably stay at the IC hotel and am hoping to just book day tours from there. What tours do you recommend, Nizwa, etc? Is it easy just to take a cab from the airport to the hotel or should I arrange something in advance? Thx!

Muscat,Oman
1 post
Save Reply
1. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Intercon is not too far from the airport.You may take a cab to the hotel.September-Feb is the ideal time to visit Oman.Places of interest are Jabal shams, Al hoota cave, Wadi Bani Khalid,Tiwi,Rass al Hadd, Salalah etc.All these places are 2 hrs and above journey by road from Muscat.Glad to provide more info on demand.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
657 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Welcome to Oman and to the forum. A few points:

1. September is the switch from hot to mild weather. The weather in september tends to be on the hot side, sometimes as hot as August. The earlier in september the hotter it is, it usually mellows down towards the end of september.

2. Ramadhan will fall in August/Septmeber this year. Ramadhan is linked to moon sighting so it changes from year to year, but it is likely to end on 9th September 2010, Eid (end of Ramadhan) will be in 10th September 2010. If you have not seen Eid in a muslim country before, it is a 3 days holiday similar to your chrsitmas. You will find most places closed in first day Eid as people are celebrating with their families, and then you will find all going out at night for a meal ..etc. All museums are likely to be closed, and probably most tour companies who employs omanis will not function for three or four days since the Omanis will be celeberating this hoiday with family. It is a family thing first and foremost. If you are travelling to Oman in september, make sure it is after the 15th or 16th, so you are sure that life is back to normal.

3. Intercon is a good hotel and you can easily take a taxi from the airport to the hotel. I am sure that if you dig a little more you will find proposed day trips. I am a local omani guy and am always entertained by what others find interesting in my beautiful country. Many people on this forum have seen more of my country than I did. But you are right, a visit to Nizwa / Bahla will be a nice day trip.

Please do let us know if you need more help.

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Thanks so much. Am interested in unique scenery, forts and the perfume production(also frankinsense and myrhh).

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Frankincense is called "luban" in Arabic. You will most commonly find the sap variant around Oman, however they also have some different stuff you will find. Bukhoor is one of them. I personally think that luban is nicer.

Especially outside of Salalah, you will find a lot of souvenir type shops selling it. This will not be the good quality stuff. If you are just looking for a gift pack or something, might be fine. Otherwise you can find specialized shops that have a lot of varieties. They are all over the market in Salalah. The top quality luban is a slightly milky yellow, iirc. Hard to describe though. A good shop will be willing to explain it to you.

Also check out "oud" if you want. You can find it as a wood to burn. The good stuff is always extremely expensive. Many Omani families use it as a status symbol. A family will burn their oud for you when you come over as a token of hospitality, and usually when they have the very expensive ones. You can also find it as a perfume. The pure oud perfume is extremely strong, and very expensive. I found a few variants that were mixed, so not as overwhelming. If you go to a big shop, they will be eager to let you test them all!

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Thanks for all the info!

tomhogfan
Level Contributor
2 posts
157 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Nizwa is a great fort to visit. I also saw Nakhl and Rustaq, but they aren't as informative and full of visual aids.

I also loved seeing ruins in the mountains to the west of Muscat (can't remember the name of the place). It requires a 4WD to access and takes someone in pretty good shape to descend the steps and walk the wadi to get up close.

The mutra souk is a unique shopping experience as well.

LAX
Level Contributor
232 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

Thanks and I will be driving with 4wd from Dubai to Muscat and will do an overnight to Nizwa.

8. Re: Solo female in Oman 3nts

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 December 2010, 08:18