We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

Hello again fellow TA's,

I was surprised at the cost of organized tours to Wadi Shab (The driver someone recommended was 130OR and the hotel was about the same)

--- I am wondering if it would just be better to rent a car and drive ourselves... (Then we wouldn't have to use taxis either) We live in Bahrain so we can handle the driving, but how easy is it to get there?

Do we need to rent a 4x4?

Are roads well marked? is it pretty straight forward? Do any rentals come with GPS?

Many thanks! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
767 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

easy drive - dual carriageway almost the entire way. (apart from a few bits about to be completed), and final couple of kms off the motorway, on old road.

You can find details here:

home.kpn.nl/lilian_jan_schreurs/…oman2001.htm

Note that these instructions are pre-motorway.

About 1hr 30mins from the Capital Area

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

You can use a small car for the whole way until you get to wadi shab. Then you can park your car and hike. 4X4 would not get you in anyway, so you will not be inconvenienced by the lack of one, you will still need to hike.

Wadi Shab is right before Sur, you can easily go to wadi shab, then head off to turtle beach and spend the night there (or in sur) and then back to muscat.

You will find a few posts in this forum explaining hot to get to the new sur road, follow the instructions and wadi shab is about 15-20 KM before sur.

Good luck and enjoy Oman.

Bahrain
Level Contributor
61 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

thanks everyone!

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

by the way, my GPS that I bought locally has a Bahrain road map. Usually, the Arabian peninsula maps are bundled together. I suggest that you check the GPS that you have in Bahrain, it might already have the maps for Oman in it.

The new road to sur is still new and may not exist on an older GPS map. If your maps are a year or less older then it should be there. Otherwise, there is a possibility that it will not be there.

5. Re: Driving to Wadi shab-- do I need a 4x4?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 March 2011, 05:17