We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman as a budget destination

Paris, France
Level Contributor
28 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Oman as a budget destination

My partner and I were thinking of visiting Oman in March - as I am going to be in the UAE for work and thought I'd combine it with a holiday somewhere interesting (I've been to Dubai etc before and am not a big fan!)

Is Oman suitable for a weeks' backpacker/Lonely Planet-esque travelling (ie getting around by public transport, getting budget accomodation as and when..)

The worry I had was that there seems to be very little in the way of budget accomodation options (ie it seems all Five-star hotels and resorts...). Am I right?

Other than that what are other general costs like eg eating out, transport, activities etc.

Many thanks

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman as a budget destination

The only difficulty is the budget accommodation, as it is certainly lacking in Oman. Everything else is very easy to do. There has been some discussion about Nasseem Hotel and several others, so you should looks for that. I think I posted some pictures of Nasseem at some point. Most of these budget options are in the Muttrah area.

If you are comfortable taking shared taxis/"baisa" buses, transportation is nice and cheap. Tell taxi drivers that you don't want "engaged" (private). This means you won't be taking a direct route to wherever you are going, but it is fine assuming you have some time. The Baisa buses also only run along the highway, so they require some walking or a supplemental cab ride. Plan on 300 baisa per person per ride or so.

Budget eating in Oman is VERY easy. There are small places pretty much all over. You can get standard grilled food, shwarma, biryani, etc. I would say that you can eat a full (good) meal for about 1.2 rial/person. There are several threads on omanforum.com that list restaurants. I suggest checking that out.

Edited: 02 November 2010, 05:56
2. Re: Oman as a budget destination

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 May 2011, 05:17