We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

We will be first-time travelling in Oman for 2 weeks in Dec./Jan. with our 3 kids, and are realizing that it may be more expensive than anticipated (already the visa thing ain't helping). Any suggestions for an interesting itinerary (a couple of days of Muscat, then beach, some hiking in the uplands?), and for nice and affordable places in or near Muscat and along the way?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

Do you have any desire to go to Dubai?

The reason why I ask is that a valid Dubai visa (refer to the other topic about visa fee increases) means that you won't have to get a visa in Oman. The thing is, the fee for Dubai visas is generally waived, so you wouldn't pay for a visa for either place.

How old are your kids? Some of the hiking around here isn't for the faint of heart. Not dangerous or anything, but it will tire you out.

Are you looking to rent a car or arrange a tour of some sort? The Nizwa area would probably be interesting for your kids, depending on what they are into. Nizwa fort, hoota caves, Jebel Shems and Jebel Akhdar, etc. There are some ruins around Ibra (forget the name, unfortunately) that I thought were pretty cool. The other thing that you might want to consider is Wahiba Sands. You can go for a ride around the sand dunes and stay in one of the desert camps for a night. I'm not 100% sure what the cost is, but it's definitely a fun time.

Traveling in Oman can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be (despite the lack of good budget accommodation).

Edited: 25 November 2010, 14:13
Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,556 posts
356 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

IMO the best of the top hotels for families would be Shangri La (see reviews,toolbar left)

As greasy says - there are no mid range hotels on the beach.

The Al Waha complex rooms are too small for families so look at Al Bandar which,from reports, has larger rooms for families.

These two hotels share facilities,including the lazy river.

Canada
4 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

Thanks for your response. Our kids are 7, 5 and 2, but used to hiking and with a kid carrier for the little one. So I'm wondering what direction we should head, after a couple of days of Muscat, for some nice scenery, some light backcountry for hiking, a beach to camp (i.e. away from town and resorts), the occasional village and the occasional inn/B&B (is there such thing?) along the way. Or am I being naive here? Sorry, haven't been there before...

Regarding the visa, we had already booked for Muscat, so no detours over Dubai possible. Unless, of course, we get something at the Sharjah airport on our stopover; would that get us anywhere...?

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

The only 2 visas it works with are Qatar and Dubai, unfortunately. I also don't recommend spending more time in Sharjah than you have to.

Regarding your other questions, I'm going to have to think about it. I have never been camping or anything here, so I may have to ask around if no one else knows.

Wadi Shab is my favorite place for hiking. Might be something for you to check out.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadi_Shab_and_Wadi_Tiwi

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
720 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

There's no 'easy' hiking in Oman. Most of the time you are walking over bare rock strewn with stones of various sizes; wadis have everything from small stones to boulder fields. The exception to this is Wadi Shab, where the path is concreted along most of its length.

Jan Schreur's website is a good place to look:

home.kpn.nl/lilian_jan_schreurs/…oman2001.htm

Wales
Destination Expert
for Ras Al Khaimah
Level Contributor
1,366 posts
70 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

Hi Greasy, are you sure about the Dubai visa business? We live in the UAE and are residents and have always had to pay for a visitors visa (albeit at a reduced cost) when entering Oman (Musandam). We are thinking of visiting Muscat during the upcoming holiday.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

Here is the link to the page with all of the information.

http://www.omanairports.com/visaonarivals.asp

I noticed that it specifies that you need a tourist visa from Qatar or Dubai, so perhaps it does not apply to residents. It is also a new deal, so that may be why you have not seen it.

8. Re: Suggestions for sights, accommodations, 3 young kids

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 June 2011, 05:18