We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for 6 month old baby

hong kong
11 posts
Save Topic
Best hotel for 6 month old baby

Hi

We are looking to book a 10 night stay with our 6 month old to Oman. We are considering the shangri la, the chedi, the oberoi or six senses - does anyone have any advice. We've stayed at the chedi in Bali before and loved it but it was extremely baby friendly and had a great atmosphere which I'm not sure the Oman chedi has. We are being put off the shangri la by the size as we are used to staying in huge resorts. Not sure about the 90 mins drive to six senses (and possible excursions) and I know nothing about the oberoi?? So any tips would be fantastic.

Thank you

Rachel

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,508 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best hotel for 6 month old baby

First of all the Six Senses/Evason resort is 90+ minutes from Dubai airport, not from Muscat airport, as the resort is at the bottom end of the Musandam Peninsula. From Muscat you would have to fly to Dubai for your transfer to the hotel as a road transfer would take more than 8 hours from Muscat Intl Airport and involve a border crossing from Oman into the UAE (I think).

Second, I don't believe there is an Oberoi anywhere in Oman - although OmanAir do offer holidays to Oberoi hotels in other countries.

Personally we don't like the Chedi in Muscat but on the one occasion we did visit we saw many families with small children who all seemed to be having a great time.

Re the Shangri-La I'm assuming that you meant that you're put off as you're NOT used to staying in huge resorts. It is 3 hotels in one and while it is a very large complex the 3 different hotels seem to cater for peoples' different needs and are relatively separate from each other. Al Waha is more children/family orientated with kids' club, Al Bandar is a bit more 'grown-up'/business and Al Husn is 'grown-up' with I think a policy of no children under 12 yrs or 16rs (can't remember which) and has it's own beach while the other two parts of the hotel share a very large beach.

If you're just looking for a relaxing holiday on a lovely beach with a good selection of bars/restaurants then the Shangri-La may do it for you - this hotel is the farthest away from the airport. If, say, you want to visit the Grand Mosque (to which I don't think you could take your baby) then the Chedi is closer but the beach at the Shangri-La is much better. A visit to Muttrah Souk/the Corniche would probably take pretty much the same time from either hotel.

Hopefully others will correct me if I'm wrong about anything I've said as we don't live in Oman, just visit on a fairly regular basis.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best hotel for 6 month old baby

I would have to agree with hugedxb's suggestion.

If you manage to find an Oberoi in Oman, please do share!

3. Re: Best hotel for 6 month old baby

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 January 2012, 20:16