We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surprise stopover!

London, United...
Level Contributor
10 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Surprise stopover!

Because of a problem with flight scheduling, Oman Air are giving me a last minute, but free (hotel + meals + visa) 24 hour stopover in Muscat. How nice!

A couple of quickies:

1) Does anyone know which hotel I'm likely to end up in? Will it be one near the airport?

2) Any tips (which may depend on the answer to 1) as to how to make the most of my brief stay?

(I've not had a lot of time to do much research, but thought that the Grand Mosque + the Corniche seemed like top spots.)

Thanks in anticipation

PS I arrive tomorrow (Thursday) at about 2.00pm!

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
16,148 posts
387 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surprise stopover!

Almost sure it will be in the Golden Tulip Seeb airport hotel but could be wrong-in won't be the Interconti or the Chedi!

The Grand Mosque and the Corniche/Souq would be a good bet.

London, United...
Level Contributor
786 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surprise stopover!

Mosque is only open in the morning, and not on a Friday (unless you are Muslim)

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surprise stopover!

Sorry I am getting to this so late (you're already in Oman). With such a short time in Oman, I suggest just getting a basic feel for the country. Traveling takes a toll on the body, so I'm sure you're tired. There is no reason to run around and tire yourself out further. You aren't going to enjoy it as much as you would if you were rested and relaxed, so why not save it for another trip?

I would say you should rest up and find something to eat. At 4ish you may consider finding your way to Muttrah (the corniche). It is a hike from the Golden Tulip, where I assume you will be staying. In an effort to save time, the easiest way may just be to pay for a regular taxi. The people at the desk should be able to give you a pretty good idea of what to pay. If you feel like saving some money, perhaps try making your way out to the highway to find a taxi.

Wander the alleys, people watch, and have a good time.

If you want to sit somewhere later, you should go to city center mawaleh. Yeah, it's a mall like you have everywhere else in the world, but the people watching is great and you can get another view of Oman.

Basically, leave yourself hungry for a longer visit in the future!

London
Level Contributor
4 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surprise stopover!

I'm planning to go for 2 days stop over squeezing in some diving. However looking forward to the night life and people watching. Just chill in with a shisha

Edited: 19 September 2011, 22:16
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surprise stopover!

Sure you have time to go diving if you are flying in?

6. Re: Surprise stopover!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 October 2012, 11:17