We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Field guides

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Topic
Field guides

Can anyone recommend any field guides for birds and sea life that would be useful for Oman and the area in general?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Field guides

Google brought these up:-

http://www.birdsoman.com/

http://richardfield.freeservers.com/

http://www.pbase.com/hajar/oman_underwater

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Field guides

I would also like to be able to identify this horrendous little creature that would perch outside my window and start screeching 15-20 minutes before I intended to wake up.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Field guides

Thanks, Silver, for the links. Have you used these guides yourself? I was hoping someone was familiar with which books were most useful/accurate.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,417 posts
350 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Field guides

The Birds of Oman book I have studied (in the shops) and seems very detailed and well illustrated but looks as if it is for the bird watching enthusiast (or twitcher as they are known in the UK) rather than the casual user.

greasy-the joys of living in Arabia. Sounds much better at midday.

But if it is a bird it will be the Greater Spotted Omani Squawker and the solution is a well aimed .410 !!

Edited: 20 July 2011, 18:16
Muscat Governorate...
10 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Field guides

Books on the region (of any type) are limited . However birds are rather well served “Common Birds in Oman” could be bought in conjunction with “Birdwatching in Oman” road networks have changed considerably since publication – however a more comprehensive book is the “Field Guide to the Birds of the Middle East” by Princeton University (I have all 3 and the first two have a more limited species cover and are all photos) while the Princeton is comprehensive, slightly out of date for distribution but well fully illustrated with artists work.

If however money is no object the encyclopedic “Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Arabia” has just been published – at around USDollar300 – it represents almost 30 years work by dozens of individuals.

"Reef Fishes UAE and Gulf of Oman" is probably all you will find for Fish - but if you can get a copy , "Coastal Fishes of Oman" would be worthwhile.

For both Birds & Sea life there are a few waterproof A5 illustrated cards in what remains of Oman’s reducing book sellers.

Edited: 20 July 2011, 19:18
Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,372 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Field guides

Hi greasy, perhaps it's a francolin (sand grouse) which screeches outside your window every morning. They're certainly very vocal where we live in DXB - especially at sunrise and sunset when they're leaving their roost or returning to their roosts.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Field guides

Birds of Oman or the Field Guide sound like what I want--I enjoy birding and would like a good field guide. I will have to check out Greasy's bird when I get there!

Thanks also for the reef fish guide recommendation. What would the piscine equivalent of "twitcher" be?? That's me.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Field guides

Okay, dredging up an old thread here...Where would you suggest I find any of the aforementioned books? The Borders at Qurm CC didn't have them, nor the BluZone dive shop.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Field guides

There is another book store in Al Qurum, I'll try to remember exactly where and let you know.

I am fairly sure it is in one of the small malls that are all grouped together.

Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,663 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Field guides

*ahem* Still waiting for the name and location of the book store!