We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hey everyone!

Oslo, Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Topic
Hey everyone!

Me and a friend from Norway, is about to fly in to Muscat in Oman. We are gonna drive around the country down to Salalah. We are keen photographers and are thinking about trying to sneak in to Yemen to one of the first cities across the border called Al Ghaydah . Anyone been across the border that direction? Safe? Its not for long, only 1-2 days and then back across the border to Oman.

Any ideas?

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hey everyone!

Are you Mad, just watch World News on an International TV station.

And after you try this then perhaps for fun you can try crossing from Gaza into Israel, just for some light relief.

Edited: 02 November 2011, 17:16
Oslo, Oslo, Norway
3 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hey everyone!

haha. okay. Have you been in salalah? I have heard that crossing the border down there is "more" safe than up north?

But thanks for the answer! :)

London, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hey everyone!

When you say "sneak into Yemen" do you mean by an unofficial route? If so, you stand a good chance of being arrested or more likely shot by border guards.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hey everyone!

More safe than crossing up north? Like... into the Emirates? I'm confused by that statement.

Oh yeah, don't do it. Trust me, I really considered it, but it's just not worth it right now.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,330 posts
370 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hey everyone!

Kristian V

"have you been to Salalah"

Look at my travel map pins and hotel reviews for the answer...

By the by-enjoy Oman, my favourite Arab country-I return for a few weeks next month but the furthest South I will go from Salalah is to the blow holes

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
104 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hey everyone!

Kristian, I really want to see your Yemen pictures, please post if you can, that is if you ever make it back into Oman :) Though Yemen does have some amazing sights, unfortunately right now is not a good time and not sure it will improve any time soon :(

Muscat Governorate...
Level Contributor
27 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hey everyone!

SNEAKING into any country or province ...IN middle east...don't think it is the brightest Idea until and unless you are local and really know what the hell you are doing..u should not attempt anything illegal or slightly legal as well here...here u wont be excused for anything until and unless u have "Vasta" that mean know the right people in right place..but why the hell u wanna go that way in the first place..This applies to All GCG countries.. Salalah is very nice and ppl visit it during karif season only -June to sep weather if we compare it to the rest of the country always stay better but during these months special...n go there to enjoy the country sides...because it really is country side not many things to enjoy with ...I am talking about bars cafes..everything if there is anything is local...but let me tell ya as photographers u will find many many beautiful things n places to capture here..n u for sure wont be disappointed...I am talking about over all country- oman..N one more time If u have to cross border then my suggestion cross over- of course legally and go to DUBAI...that's where ppl actually live lol!

8. Re: Hey everyone!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 November 2012, 05:16