We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman hiking and snorkelling

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
156 reviews
Save Topic
Oman hiking and snorkelling

We are travelling to Oman in Feb 2013 where should we go for best off the beach snorkelling and not too difficult but beautiful walking. Plus which is the best desert areas.

London, United...
Level Contributor
730 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Walking: look at Jan's web page

home.kpn.nl/lilian_jan_schreurs/…oman2001.htm

Alternatively, the book Adventure trekking in Oman lists plenty of walks

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Thanks Al for prompt response, I'll check it out

3. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 14:41
Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Many thanks, though diving is not for me, my husband dived for many years, me I need the safety of the shore line! All the other info looks useful though, thanks again.

5. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

6. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Edited: 21 March 2015, 14:41
Tucson, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Quito, Ecuador
Level Contributor
9,909 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

If by PDO beach, you mean Ras Al Hamra (a quiet cove with picnic ramadas, and a parking lot across the street?), I snorkel there regularly and it's okay to wear a swimsuit and not be hassled.. Everyone is very respectful, on both sides. I see three turtles there pretty often.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Thanks all for your helpful replies

New York
Level Contributor
3 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Jabjaw: I am wondering about the same question you asked: where can one snorkel in Oman? Many mention the Damanyiats but apparently it is a 40 minute boat trip from the coast. One does not want to do that repeatedly. In the northern part of Oman (e.g. Dibba) the coast looks like the fjords should have snorkeling but there is little in the way of decent hotels and no one mentions snorkeling.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
5 posts
156 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Oman hiking and snorkelling

Hi we are currently in Oman but gave up on snorkelling and settled for some, not too challenging, hiking up the wadi tracks and a 4 day stay in Wahiba sands. We have found it to be a very friendly, easy going country with lots of beautiful scenery. Hope u find what u are after.