We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire

Hello, we are having 4 days in Oman in November, stopping over on the way back from 2 weeks in Thailand. I was thinking about hiring a car from the airport...is this recommended? We are thing of staying in Qurum but then it seems a car is needed to get anywhere. Car hire seems reasonable priced. I have driven in a fair few places abroad ansome very busy places (Thailand, Brazil, Barcelona) so am not too bothered about that...but is there anything else to look out for? Any opinions would be welcomed...cheers.

Mentioned in this post
Brazil
Brazil
South America
Barcelona
Barcelona
Province of Barcelona, Spain
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire

I don't see any issues with doing it. If you're getting it from the airport, you will know that it is a decent place (insured, etc.). One thing I would suggest is always having an idea of where you need to go... some missed turns in Oman can be devastating (have to drive for 20 minutes just to get to another exit, etc.). If you don't have phone access to GPS/google maps, make sure you have a good paper map on hand (and don't be afraid to ask for directions).

You are going to have a much better time if you have a car and are comfortable getting out and about. Qurum is pretty much the most central and dense area you will find, to be honest. I think it's always a safe bet.

2. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 March 2015, 14:41
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire

I like that last point. Most rental companies here use fleets of Protons and Yaris'. With the speeds on most of the highways here (minimum 120-140), I would not want to be in one of these death boxes. No need for a 4x4, but make sure you are getting something safe.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
109 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire

Hello then...thats all really good thanks. I do appreciate it. I think we will go for it and get a car...It is all so much easier everywhere with your own transport and you get to see a lot more and it can be a lot more fun...and you only live once. And by the sounds of it if you hire a Yaris that may just be the case!

5. Re: Car Hire

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 June 2013, 12:15