We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

From Dubai to Muscat

Dubai, United Arab...
Level Contributor
32 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
From Dubai to Muscat

Hello! My husband and I will be traveling for the first time to Oman at the end of August. We will be driving our car and we really just want to stay at a nice hotel that by the ocean that preferably we could just snorkel off the beach and that there is a dive center close by that takes you to the best sites!!! I have been looking around and I haven't gotten any concrete answers yet. Someone please help us!!!! :-)) I have read that Oman Dive Center is really good, but are they close to the best sites, and is Muscat really the best location for Scuba Diving in Oman? Thanks so much. Also what are really good tour operating companies? Thanks so much guys!

Gray Line Oman
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, City Tours, Private Tours
Dubai Relax Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Titusville, Florida
Level Contributor
1 post
46 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

Muscat is beautiful and lots of beautiful ocean. If u r driving be careful if u r driving by the borders if driving long distance get information on bandits shaking down tourists on the open highways that's why my company would not let us drive in Oman. Have fun just be safe it would help if u had a contact their to help u out because everything is about who u know. Good luck

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
688 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

Bandits on the highway? in Oman?

I never heard of this, you must be referring to somewhere else.

Dubai, United Arab...
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
8,520 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

Bandits on highway, interesting lol :-0) which company is this which prevents you driving there quoting bandits? Are you the guys producing 'Pirates of the Carribean'?

UAE and Oman are among the safest countries of the world today, and will remain so, I hope.

Coming to the business of drive: You can opt to go to Sur, a couple hours South of Muscat; or you can go deeper down South to Masirah island, depends on your time and energy level.

Car insurance in UAE normally covers Oman, check it out just in case. Passport should be valid at least for 6 months more from date of travel. You will get visas at the border. You can drive through Hatta border; or go via Hafeet border in Al Ain (to go towards Salalah side), depending on your destination in Oman.

Dubai-Muscat is a cool drive, say 5 hrs.

Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

another question. I'm planning a trip to dubai next month. I have exactly one week, i'd like to see Muscat as well. i think 3/4 days to see dubai is good enough, but how about Muscat? are 2/3 days enough, especially going by car? my second question, how safe is it really for two ladies to go by car? of is going by bus a safer option? Or not going? after all, i only have 7 days! could someone help me out?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
688 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

Driving will be better in my opinion and safety is not an issue at all. You will need to check that your insurance covers Oman, other than that, you should be fine. My recommendations is that you try to drive from Dubai to Muscat and back to Dubai during daylight hours since parts of the road do not have street lights. Also, from experience, I would recommend that you start the drive early in the day specially if you are travelling during the weekends: Thursday - Saturday, to avoid long waiting at the border.

Drive from Dubai to Muscat is not very bad. It is dual carriage way and is fairly easy to navigate. There is a nice mall (Safeer Mall) in Sohar which is half way that you can use for a rest stop, have a sandwich, a coffee, and a toilet break. You should have a GPS as it will make it easier to go around specially within Dubai and Muscat.

2/3 days in Muscat will be fine. You should cover all the basics in that time.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Emirate of Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

This is really good advice, thanks so much!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
6,290 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

I agree with Tariq A. Insurance is important (if you do not have it you may be refused a visa at the border) and you should also ensure that, assuming you are hiring a car for this trip, that the hire company will allow you to drive the car to Oman, you will likely need a letter. From memory not all of them do.

If you go via the Hatta / Wajajah border crossing then the trip is quite simple, drive for about 15kms from the border, and then at the first roundabout turn right onto R1 (Route 1) and follow the signposts. R1 takes you all the way to Muscat. Five hours is an accurate estimate, but it can get a bit boring but it does give you a good indication as to how different Oman is to Dubai.

We like it so much we have just moved here after 7 years in Dubai. It's a great country, full of fabulous people. We are very lucky.

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
Amsterdam, The...
3 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

yes i'm planning to drive via the Hatta border.. i'm actually really looking forward to the drive. i think it will be good after a couple of days in hectic Dubai, which i love as well. i know there are a couple of forums regarding what to do/see in Muscat, but if you have some more advice, it's very welcome;) Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Dubai
Dubai
9. Re: From Dubai to Muscat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 November 2013, 10:18