We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Rental

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
11 posts
77 reviews
Save Topic
Car Rental

Any recommendations on car rental companies? Any issue with getting lost, directions, maps?

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
214 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Rental

you can try budgetoman, hertz, thrifty, avis oman etc. All are reliable and provide good service.

you can request for a GPS when you rent, so you have minimal chance of getting lost. if you planning to go out in to the desert or remote areas, you SHOULD take a GPS with you.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Rental

I picked up a map from Carrefour when I lived there, believe it was this one: amazon.com/gp/…

I rarely used it for the map, I just liked it because of the distance calculator function (you pull a tab down and it shows you how far different cities are from each other).

Luckily there aren't many roads to get confused by, and signs are generally somewhat straightforward. Unfortunately gas station attendants aren't as helpful as in other countries, as they are migrant workers who can't get out much. People are certainly happy to help though, so asking is never an issue. Another good thing to do might be to get the phone number of a hotel concierge or other familiar local who you could stick on the phone with someone on the street if you get lost.

I usually just used the google gps function on my phone when needed, worked perfectly fine. Definitely plan on having a good one if you are venturing out to remote areas though.

3. Re: Car Rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2014, 06:23