We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
127 reviews
Save Topic
Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Hello,

Has anyone been to Taab Springs Oasis in Oman? I was just reading a back issue of National Geographic....April 2003....about the caves of Oman and there was this awesome photo of Taab Springs. Unfortunately, there was no information as to the location of this oasis. I am traveling to Oman in February and I want to find this place. The photo was just fascinating.

London, United...
Level Contributor
787 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

This article is about a number of different places, a long way apart. Any Omani wadi on the coast SE of Muscat will provide the same scenery. Wadi Shab is the most popular, with easy access.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Thanks...I appreciate your assistance, but do you know where Taab Springs is located? I am sure many of the oasis look the same but I am asking about this particular one.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Wadi Taab is down in Sharqiyah, in the area of Tiwi and whatnot I believe.

"To go to Wadi Taab, take the highway to Sur; drive till the exit to Finns and take the dirt road to Selma. Pass three settlements and then take to the left at the fork; drive till the end of the track and park your car. From there you need around one hour to reach the village of Taab. Ask the help of the villagers as it is not easy to find your way the first time."

http://main.omanobserver.om/?p=1785

Wadi is the Arabic word for a canyon or oasis like this. Ain or 3ain (3 represents the guttural a sound) is the word for a spring. When you get out of the Muscat area, it will be harder to find English speakers who can give you directions. I would recommend at the very least having someone write out a description of where you want to go in Arabic. Also make sure that you have landmarks (gas stations, mosques, etc) in the directions, not street names or route numbers... they won't help you at all.

And to reiterate what al_in_muscat said, they really all do look almost identical. You wouldn't be disappointed with any of them, though I think we certainly understood that you were asking about this particular one.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Thanks again. I appreciate the help very much. I am someone who sets out on a mission and completes it. Kind of makes life far more fun than most people experience. I want to see the photo in National Geographic....that is what drives me to see Oman. I will try and see many other oases on the way but I want to view the photo for myself that has so mesmerized me. Thanks again for helping me to realize this with your assistance.

Sydney
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

Seascape - Did you make it to Wadi Taab? If not I am going next weekend and can report back.

Cheers,

Tim

timjbarber2002@yahoo.co.uk

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
64 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

I have not yet. That is going to be in February that I am heading to Oman. I would love a report! I found that picture in Nat Geo so amazing I want to see it in person. Thanks a million!

Zeeuws Vlaanderen
Level Contributor
510 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!msg/gec-nature-science/pkrFn_Z1Xms/VhkxKbjT3soJ

Google Earth kmz-file with the exact location

8. Re: Taab Springs Oasis....Oman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 January 2015, 06:32