We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing money in Oman - November 2013

Luxembourg City...
Level Contributor
5 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Changing money in Oman - November 2013

A word of caution for travellers exchanging USD $ for Omani Rials: all of the money exchanges I visited in Oman in November 2013 (from Muscat to Sur to Ibra to Nizwa to Suhar - Travelex, Western Union and banks) would NOT accept any US dollars earlier than the 2006 series. No-one could give me a reason but they would not accept / exchange them.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing money in Oman - November 2013

My understanding is that banks do not want the pre-2006 US currency. I believe that this is due to design changes that happened in 2006 and which improved the security of the currency to reduce the probability of counterfeiting the currency.

The same thing happens in Thailand and Indonesia. I am not sure about other countries, but i am quite sure that this happens elsewhere too.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
15,174 posts
368 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing money in Oman - November 2013

This is no different to many countries,especially in Asia where pre2006 bills are not accepted (know as the difference between "small" and "big" head) due to many Chinese fakes of the older bills.

It is not an Omani problem-it is International, and TA forums frequently warn of these old bills being refused and warning that even post 2006 need to be in good condition.

SS

3. Re: Changing money in Oman - November 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 15 December 2014, 05:19