We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closure of B & B's????

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
779 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Closure of B & B's????

Hello

Below is the reply from one of the the top rated B & Bs on TA when I enquired about a reservation this morning..

"Thank you for your interest in XXXX

We are no longer operating, as the ministry of tourism, has asked all b&B's to close, as it is not in keeping, with Omani cultural values."

Is this a recent development ??

Intriguing - as the reviews for this accommodation were all glowing and full of travellers positive experiences of Omani hospitality and culture - can anyone shed any more light on this ?

1. Re: Closure of B & B's????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 27 February 2014, 10:24
Kottayam, India
Destination Expert
for Kerala
Level Contributor
6,059 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closure of B & B's????

Please check your inbox

London
Level Contributor
72 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closure of B & B's????

I haven't heard of this at all...is it only from this one place, or any others that you contacted? And is it western or Omani owned/managed?

I do know that the Ministry of Tourism is causing a lot of problems for some local Omanis I know who are offering budget priced accommodation in guest house-type accommodation - there are huge hotel developments under way across Oman and my guess is that they want to make sure tourists have to stay in expensive resorts - which in my view are a long way from Omani hospitality - rather than simple, inexpensive rooms where they actually do get to meet local people.

Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
779 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closure of B & B's????

Hi Gertrude

I can only pass on what I have been advised by the guesthouse that I approached - however I did note that for many of the B&B listed in the TA lists there is now no way to book via the accommodation brokers. Advice is to contact property directly.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closure of B & B's????

I have been told the same thing! I am planning to visit in December 2014 and really wanted to stay in L'Escape.

London, United...
Level Contributor
11 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closure of B & B's????

Are you still open over December?

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closure of B & B's????

Our tour company has told us the same story and we are now having to go to a 4-star hotel in Muscat, instead of the experience of staying at an excellent guest house overlooking the beach. Naturally our tour company is picking up the bill, but we are very sorry to miss out on this experience. However, we need to feel more sorry for the guest house owners who have lost their livelihoods overnight!

Cheltenham, United...
Level Contributor
9 posts
295 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closure of B & B's????

Our tour company has told us the same story and we are now having to go to a 4-star hotel in Muscat, instead of the experience of staying at an excellent guest house overlooking the beach. Naturally our tour company is picking up the bill, but we are very sorry to miss out on this experience. However, we need to feel more sorry for the guest house owners who have lost their livelihoods overnight!

9. Re: Closure of B & B's????

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 March 2015, 05:18