We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Genova
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Topic
Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Hello,

I share here my trip report from an indipendent, self-drive holiday in Oman, with some nights spent camping on a beach or in the desert. You can find photos here: www.wildtrips.net/oman.htm , together with a more extended trip report and info on destinations, prices, etc.

It's never easy to organize a trip for Christmas. European destinations are usually cold and rainy or snowy, while flights for tropical countries are very expensive.

Luckily there is Oman: warm, beautiful, quiet, cheap and not touristy. My girlfriend and I flew from Italy to Muscat, the capital of Oman. It was late night, so we got a 4x4 (that we had booked via internet) and we slept in the car.

The following day we quickly visited Muscat and Mutrah and we drove to the beautiful beaches just south of the capital. There we lived one of the best days ever. In fact, three local fishermen invited us to join them for a fishing trip. We accepted and by boat we visited the coastline. There were islands and cliffs and beaches, they fished and we swam. Then we stopped on a deserted island and we had a BBQ where they cooked lobster and squids and fish. It was amazing. And, at the end of the day, we asked them how much they wanted for the trip and the food… Well, nothing. They invited us just to have company. We were definetely lucky, but I think Omanis are some of the kindest people on earth.

The following day two friends (another couple) reached us from Italy.

We picked them at the airport in the early morning and we drove to Nakhl where we admired the nice fort, then we had a long 4x4 drive in an impressive canyon. For the night, we camped in the middle of nowhere, just us and the wilderness.

The next day we visited Jebel Shams and more Oman natural landscapes. We slept in Ibra, quite close to the huge Al Sharqiya Sands desert, that we went to visit the following day

The plan was simple: driving up and down the dunes trying to have a lot of fun without getting stuck in the sand. It was a success. The best dune bashing you can imagine. We camped in the desert, among some high dunes, there was just us and the sand and the stars and then a little sand-storm. It was fun.

Wadis are one of the most exciting attractions in Oman: narrow canyons with a river and palms and small lakes where you can swim surrounded by beautiful scenery. I just summarize that Wadi Bani Khalid was great, Wadi Tiwi very interesting and Wadi Shab really memorable. In this last canyon we swam through a series of lakes until we got into an underground natural pool! We felt a bit like Indiana Jones.

In the last day of our holiday we visited more beaches to the south of Muscat. Beautiful bays, nice snorkeling and a lot of sun-tanning, which at Christmas is really great! Again, we camped in the wild, on a beach just two meters from the sea.

We concluded our trip by visiting Muscat souk. The capital is a safe, interesting seaside town with a stunning backdrop of red mountains. Definetely a must-visit.

So, Oman is an original but really marvellous destination for an indipendent, adventurous (or also relaxing-on-the-beach) holiday.

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
1,066 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us and its really good to hear that you had a good time in Oman.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Ciao simobor! Sono veramente felice di sentire che vi siete divertiti in Oman!

Wonderful trip report, especially the extended version on that link you posted. As you found, the Omani people are more hospitable than the turtles. With your adventures, you were able to have some great experiences that many other people have not had (the fishing trip, shooting in the desert, etc).

The coffee that you mention was probably the traditional Omani coffee, which is made with cardamom. It goes perfectly with dates and fruit. When Omanis invite people in their homes, this is what they usually offer, and sometimes burning incense (either frankincense/luban, or bukhoor) for them.

Hope that you will make it back to do a longer trip at some point!

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Destination Expert
for Dubai
Level Contributor
11,184 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Thanks for posting simobor and for the link to your site. It's helpful in planning my trip in Oman in a few weeks.

Antwerp, Belgium
Level Contributor
11 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Hi,

This seems like a great trip! We want to go to Oman in October.

Which company did you book a car with and was it good?

Also did you bring your own camping gear? or did you rent it?

best,

Tom

Genova
Level Contributor
21 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Hi,

The company was Hertz (but we had booked via rentalcars.com as we found a good offer).

Everything with the car hire went smoothly. Actually, I think that the Prado was the perfect 4x4 for our holiday, we drove quite easily also in the desert.

We brought our own tents and sleeping bags from Italy, but we bought a cheap table with chairs, bbq coal, pan, etc at Carrefour supermarket in Muscat... there is some more info in the extended trip report linked above, if you haven't read it yet.

Thank you all for your messages, I am happy you are appreciating this report... I am definetely going back to Oman sooner or later:)

Edited: 11 April 2014, 15:35
Colombo, Sri Lanka
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

Thanks for this great trip report! Oman is a great place for a hiking trip like yours, but there are also several hotels for those who prefer the small luxuries like beds and baths. The Sur Plaza Hotel was a great experience in terms of homeliness.

7. Re: Oman travel itinerary and trip report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 May 2015, 07:17