We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Wadi Shab - questions

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Wadi Shab - questions

Hi!

I finally got here to Oman :). Tomorrow me and my girlfriend are planning to go to Ras Al-Hadd via Wadi Shab. We are planning to leave around 5am in order to climb up the Wadi when it's not so warm. I heard there is a new double-lane road there, I saw it on google maps. But how to get to the pools where one can swim? Are they far away from the double-lane road?

Once at the pools is there any way of securing our things before getting in the water? Any places that might deposit our things?

On our way back from Ras Al-hadd on the next day we want to pay a short visit to the desert (Just 15-20 minutes just to have a look from the road, maybe take some pictures. We dont have a 4x4). Where would be the most convenient place?

Thanks for your answers :)

Mentioned in this post
Oman
Oman
Middle East
Wadi Shab
Wadi Shab
1,075 Reviews
Sur, Oman
Level Contributor
5 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

Hi,

If you are staying in Muscat, it will take you one hour and half to reach Wadi Shab. I think to leave @ 5.00 am is early.

On the way, follow the signs to Sur. The turn to to the Wadi Shab is on your right. It is very easy to get there and even no need for maps or GPS as the roads are well signed. Once you reach to the entrance of Wadi Shab, you need to park your car in the designated parking area under the bridge where you can find public toilets. It is safe so you can hide your things inside the car. There is no safe or office where you can keep your things. You will find local people who will pick you up on their small boats to the other side of the river for 1 OMR (return).I have been last week to the Wadi, it was so beautiful and full of deep water. You can swim wherever you like and I do not think you will find many tourists now days.

Regarding your other question about the Sand or desert visit, it is quite far, maybe 2 hours from Wadi Shab. You need first to drive to Sur and then to Bidya. if you want only to take pictures or maybe walk on the sand, so need for 4w car. If you like. Also, if you like from Bidya you can return back to Muscat through Ibra ( another one way road). it takes 2.30 minutes from Bidya to Muscat.

Edited: 20 April 2014, 15:49
Mentioned in this post
Muscat
Muscat
Muscat Governorate, Oman
Wadi Shab
Wadi Shab
1,075 Reviews
Sur, Oman
Sur
Sur
Ash-Sharqiyah Governorate, Oman
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

I haven't done the hike in a little while, but I remember it taking an hour or so. You climb up some path, then around some rocks, and eventually reach the stream. This is where you can swim in and eventually reach the main pool. As Majidsu said, there is nowhere to lock up belongings or anything. Most people carry in only the essentials and then leave shoes somewhere on the rocks when you have to swim. I have never heard of thefts, but definitely don't leave valuables up there.

Level Contributor
2 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

Thanks for your answers. Due to some delays on the way we had to postpone the Wadi Shab. We will go there after tomorrow. My main concern is the car key, I can leave most of the things in the car. But after, we will need to hide it somewhere as we both want to swim... Any ideas?

Mentioned in this post
Wadi Shab
Wadi Shab
1,075 Reviews
Sur, Oman
Bromley Kent
Level Contributor
844 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

Hi

Wrap in cling film leaving long tail and tie round wrist??

Perhaps hotel 9if you are staying in one) can assist with a foot square of cling film!!

Good luck!!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

Do you have time to swing by a sports store (like Sun and Sand which is at City Center or Go Sport at MGM) or Carrefour to find a little waterproof container? Something like this: amazon.com/Waterproof-Container-Airtight-Mon…

Otherwise just find a ziploc baggie or something.

6. Re: Wadi Shab - questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2015, 05:16