We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alcohol advice

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
93 reviews
Save Topic
Alcohol advice

We are considering staying at Zighy Bay for a few days next time we go to Dubai and I understand you cannot take alcohol over the border in Oman. So, is there anywhere you stop and buy alcohol before reaching Zighy Bay?

Thanks.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alcohol advice

You won't be able to buy alcohol in Oman, unless there is something I don't know about. Oman is one of those countries where you need a license in order to BUY alcohol from a shop (of which there are only a few). Many people opt to buy a bottle or two from duty free upon entry, but that won't help you.

I would personally just stash a bottle in the car, but know that it may not make the trip...

Hopefully I'm wrong and someone will correct me.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alcohol advice

Thanks greasy. I thought that would be the answer!

London, United...
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alcohol advice

You can take alcohol into the UAE or buy on arrival. If you drive from Dubai to Zighy Bay there are a number of places where you can buy alcohol without a licence. See here for a list: expatforum.com/expats/…154669-alcohol.html.

If Oman customs find alcohol in your car at the border, the alcohol will be confiscated and you will be fined. Customs searches vary from a brief glance in the boot to getting you to open your coolbox. They are very unlikely to make you open suitcases to check what is inside.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alcohol advice

Thank you. We so enjoy sitting in the evening on our terrace/balcony and enjoying a glass of something which hasn't cost the earth!

al_in the link you gave is coming up as a blank page?

London, United...
Level Contributor
747 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alcohol advice

Weird regarding the link.

Found this. It shows where to buy without a licence. Click on any of the three pins to see some info about the shop.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms…

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alcohol advice

We have a booking for the new Alila in Oman for November.It looks increasingly unlikely that they will have a liquor licence by then. I understand it is not possible to buy alcohol in Oman. Can we take some purchased In duty free after our arrival in Muscat Airport? if so, how much per person? And does it have to be only consumed in our room, or can you take it to the dining room? Any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Alcohol advice

I don't know about their policies, but I doubt you would be able to take personal alcohol to the dining room.

You can take 2 liters (bottles, basically) per person from duty free,

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Alcohol advice

Thank you for your help.

Suffolk, United...
Level Contributor
797 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Alcohol advice

I would suggest you email the resort for clarification. As they do not have a liquor licence, they may be more open about guests taking their own into their restaurants possibly?

It looks a fantastic place and would definitely be on our list if and when they serve alcohol.....

Enjoy.

Glasgow, United...
Level Contributor
50 posts
248 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Alcohol advice

may do that, thanks.Really want to find out if we can purchase alcohol in Oman and if so where and what amount. The resort does indeed look good, we thought when we booked it the licence would be forthcoming long before we went!