We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to buy maps in Muscat

Delft
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Where to buy maps in Muscat

Hi,

I'm in Oman for three weeks and i plan to do some exploring.

Does anyone know of a bookstore which sells terrain maps (1:100000) of parts of Oman?

I'm particularly interested in maps of the Nizwa area. Thanks for any ideas of where i could buy them. Alternatively, is anyone of you willing to sell his?

Muscat Governorate...
Destination Expert
for Muscat Governorate, Oman
Level Contributor
662 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

Try both of these:

1. Family Bookshop in Qurum commercial area. It is close to AlAraimi mall. Next to Tarboosh restaurant and AlBustan Bakery.

2. Broders Bookshop in City Center Muscat.

London, United...
Level Contributor
749 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

100k maps are not particularly good. Much better to print off google earth screen shots on A3 paper or similar. (Or use stitchmaps software with google earth to create high res composite maps)

Delft
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

Thanks for the prompt reply. I've gone to the one in Qurum already and they had some maps but not really detailed terrain maps.

I have inherited a map of the Sur area which was printed for the MInistry of Defense of the Sultanate, it's this kind of stuff i'm looking for. Any clue to where i could find them? or are they only available in closed circles.

Thanks again.

Delft
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

Oh. sorry didn't see the second post.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

My guess would be Borders. Its just one of the larger bookstores around...

Other than that, I'm sure you could track down one of the big travel companies that do excursions through the desert and whatnot. They probably use them and would know where to buy them.

6. Re: Where to buy maps in Muscat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 June 2010, 05:18