We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

Suffolk
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

We are on a cruise calling at Muscat for just one day - a Friday. I know the mosque is closed to visitors on that day, but can anyone tell me if it's still worth taking a taxi there just to look at it from the outside?

Shuwaymiyah
3 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

it is also impressive from outside but you may do this during morning or late afternoon, midday is not ideal as the friday prayer is ongoing during this time.

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

Yes it is quite impressive but I too would not go on the hot midday sun and when there are many people going there. Even if you walk the perimeter, please be mindful that it is a place of worship and ensure you dress and behave appropriately.

Suffolk
Level Contributor
2 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

Thanks to you both - very helpful.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

I personally think that it is a gorgeous mosque to see. It is very grand and will certainly leave an impression on you. I suggest looking at some pictures to see if it interests you.

I also generally recommend that people do 5 minutes of research on mosque architecture before visiting one. It will just make you understand the components a bit better so you aren't wandering around confused about what everything is. Not as relevant for the outside of the mosque, but still might be interesting.

The mosque grounds are also very impressive. I am assuming that they are closed with the rest of the mosque. A return trip might be in order for you.

5. Re: Sultan Qaboos Grand Mosque, Muscat, Oman

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 May 2011, 06:43
Get answers to your questions about Muscat Governorate