We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

muscat

Monza, Italy
Level Contributor
50 posts
106 reviews
Save Topic
muscat

Is it expensive to visit , more than Jordan and syria. Can two women travel alone?

Edited: 18 November 2010, 19:16
Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: muscat

It all depends on where you want to be staying, eating, etc. I would say that it is quite a bit cheaper than Jordan. Have never been to Syria, unfortunately.

Two women would be completely fine traveling around.

Warks.England
Destination Expert
for Myanmar, Yangon (Rangoon), Ngapali, Tossa de Mar
Level Contributor
14,998 posts
367 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: muscat

In my experience, if you were staying at decent hotels, Oman is a lot dearer but the standard of hotel service is better due to motivated expat staff.

In might be worth costing hotels of the same chain through their web site - ie;-Interconti Aqaba and Amman versus Muscat. Same with Crowne Plaza and Grand Hyatt.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
1,882 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: muscat

It is worth noting that in Oman, taxis are not metered as they are in Jordan. You lose some negotiating power when traveling from a big hotel, but in most cases you can travel via taxi for very cheap. In Amman there are the two main taxis, the white/yellow and the silver (more expensive of the two). Taxis in Oman should be cheaper than the white/yellow taxis in Jordan, if that makes sense.

Day pool passes for hotels in Oman are SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than they are at hotels in Egypt or Jordan, for instance.

Karachi, Pakistan
Level Contributor
29 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: muscat

I have been to Oman, Jordan and Syria. Oman is cheaper than Jordan but more expensive as compare to Syria.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: muscat

I agree with above that Oman is cheaper than Jordan. Two women travelling alone should not be a problem. You should exercise the same due care and caution as you would travelling anywhere else. Be mindful of the cultural environment and be appropriately dressed to avoid any unwanted attention.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
27 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: muscat

I didn't find it all that expensive, but I definitely think it would depend on where you are staying!

I was traveling with my husband, but I think you would be fine on your own. Everyone we met was very friendly and willing to explain things to tourists.

You will get a lot less hassle if you cover up to knees and elbows - we did see women walking around in shorts or tank tops but they got a lot of nasty looks from the Omani women.

7. Re: muscat

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2011, 05:16