We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The Tripadvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How to dress in Oman

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
94 helpful votes
How to dress in Oman

Oman is a muslim country and therefore one should respect their traditions and dress appropriately. Oman is not Dubai and one should dress accordingly. Oman is 10 or 20 years behind Dubai which makes it a more interesting place to visit. I cannot believe that tourists come to this country and think they can walk around like one does on the riviera in Spain or wherever. Women should dress with tops with a short sleeve and long pants or 3/4 pants and not shorts especially when visiting the souk. Men should at least wear long pants when visiting the souk. When driving in the interior of Oman it is also suggested to dress conservatively. When visiting the mosque in Oman, women should have their heads covered, long sleeved tops and wear trousers that cover the ankles (when in doubt wear an abbaya). Men should wear long pants. I cannot believe that tourists come to this country and are surprised that they suddenly have to dress conservatively. By dressing conservatively you will not invite unwelcome attention and shopkeepers in the souk (not necessarily omani) will not stare so much. Tour companies should advise tourists accordingly.

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
1. Re: How to dress in Oman

Nice try but you won't win.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
2. Re: How to dress in Oman

What a load of nonsense! I have travelled extensively in the east, North Africa, and the middle east. It is my experience that most visitors, certainly from the UK , are great respectors of other countries' customs. Indeed, we do our research to ascertain what is appropriate dress. You will always get exceptions to the rules!!

I will be in Oman in April so I will see for myself!!

Level Contributor
247 posts
9 reviews
94 helpful votes
3. Re: How to dress in Oman

I can see you dont live here. Ever heard of the saying 'brits abroad'. Also tourists means from all over not just UK there are other countries where tourists come from.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
4. Re: How to dress in Oman

mmmm!

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
5. Re: How to dress in Oman

Well Aye Aye Girl, if you do your research and respect local customs, you will be the exception to the rule.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
6. Re: How to dress in Oman

Thanks for that SonofBB!! It's easy really I just looked on web site omanaccess.com. All the information is there. Where it states that women should cover upper arms, I take that to mean a short sleeved tee shirt that covers the shoulders would be ok??

Whilst writing, as stated previously, I will be in Oman in April. Considering staying at the Marina Hotel in Muttrah. What's it like? Supposed to be 3*. What do you think? Don't really want to stay at a beach resort. Don't tell me that the hotels in Muttrah are bad!!!

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
7. Re: How to dress in Oman

Sorry - hotels in Muttrah are bad.

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
8. Re: How to dress in Oman

What about Ruwi??

Lowestoft, United...
Destination Expert
for Varkala Town, India
Level Contributor
15,943 posts
168 reviews
125 helpful votes
9. Re: How to dress in Oman

p.s. What is so bad about the hotels in Muttrah??

The Land That Time...
Level Contributor
2,240 posts
1 review
6 helpful votes
10. Re: How to dress in Oman

There's nothing bad about them if you like cockroach infested dumps (true story from the Marina). Ruwi is OK: there is Al Falaj, Haffa House, and Sheraton principally. What have you got against the beach hotels?

© 2024 Tripadvisor LLC All rights reserved.

This is the version of our website addressed to speakers of English in United Kingdom. If you are a resident of another country or region, please select the appropriate version of Tripadvisor for your country or region in the drop-down menu.