We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

where to stay in November

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
3 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
where to stay in November

I am thinking of a short - 5 - 6 day break in Oman early November. Will be on my own (single female) looking to relax from very hectic job. Some spa treatment avail would be good, want good pool, good food, very pleasant room with balcony or outdoor area if possible. Beach a bonus but somewhere I would feel comfortable on my own is desirable - not that I especially want to meet people. Preferably few very young children. Availability of tours is not essential, nor are shops but both would be a bonus. Cost (within reason) is not a major issue for the right place. Any ideas greatly appreciated. So far I have only really looked at Chedi but wonder if it is the right place on my own. I will be flying from Dubai and do not want to travel great distances from airport if possible.

Wadi Shab Adventures
4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Hiking & Camping Tours, City Tours, Eco Tours
Tours Oman Private Day tours
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Night Tours, Private Tours
Bediyah Safari Tours
Mountains, Safaris, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Oman Day Tours
Multi-day Tours, City Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Day Trips
Glen Morangie
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: where to stay in November

You've identified the best one for your specific requirements. The only other option would have been Shangri La Barr Al Jissah's Al Husn but, as you can see from the threads below and above, it's all gone a little awry. Even if they get it open by September, it won't have bedded down by the time you have planned your visit.

Yakima, Washington
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: where to stay in November

Nothing wrong with the beautiful Grand Hyatt Muscat. Private beach, large pool, excellent food, balconies. See suites and room types, pictures at their web site. Young children may be difficult to avoid in Nov at any hotel. As a single woman I have always felt comfortable anywhere in Oman as long as I use good sense and respectfulness of their culture.

Level Contributor
7 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: where to stay in November

I just returned from the Hyatt in Muscat. I do not think it is what you are looking for. Please note there is hardly any sun on the pool after 4;00pm. The beach is not as nice as Shangra lai or al Bustan Palace. however the Hyatt is more centrally located. The Chedi would not have has many kids as Hyatt. I found the service in general at the hyatt very poor. Spa treatments, I tried to arrange before hand and was only told about massage at the gym. Howvever there is salon in the hotel (appeared outside companyt renting shop in the hotel) that offered treatments. But did not appear to the 'hotel spa' expereince youl expect to receive from more of the big name hotels in Dubai. Hyatt is new, Intercontinental is close to Hyatt in Oman. A little older but if we returned to oman, we would stay at Chedi or Intercont, as location in much more central than the alternatives and the service would have to be better than the hyatt.

Hyatt, Intercontinental and Chedi are all about 15 minutes in standard traffic from airport. but Shranglai is about 50kms. An VERY isloated.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anymore information!

Our community is here to help!Ask questions, get advice and more from travellers like you.
Join TripAdvisor
Level Contributor
122 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: where to stay in November

We have just returned from the Shangri La - Tthe Al Husn should be well up and running by November and should fit the bill - NO KIDS, excellent service, relaxing, fab pool and fantastic spa. Everyone we spoke to (locals) about the Chedi pointed out that it was very close to the airport flightpath, but we didn't go there so I can't comment further.

London, England
Level Contributor
8 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: where to stay in November

The Al Bustan Palace must be worth a thought. I use it for business a fair bit but my wife, who came out for a week last November really loved it. Great beach, much better than the Chedi.

We spent first three nights at the Al Bustan and the last three at the Chedi.

The Chedi room was small, the spa expensive, the loungers in short supply, the flight path goes right over the beach and the food was mediocre.

Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: where to stay in November

You can found good info and pictures about good hotels in Muscat right here :

Level Contributor
373 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: where to stay in November

would agree with suzyvy - the Hyatt is located in a good area where you would feel perfectly safe walking out alone, a short walk away is a small mall and a range of local cafes, including starbucks. Ok the beach isn't amazing but long and flat for walking and no hassle anywhere. When we stayed the service was impeccable and there were very few children. The sun did disappear late afternoon but if you have a club room their terrace is in full sun after this.

8. Re: where to stay in November

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 12:17