We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

Or maybe another place? My sister and I are looking at those two choices, but they both have very mixed reviews. Good swimming, at both pool and beach, and convenience of location are important, as well as dining quality. I noticed in some Sheraton reviews, complaints about smoke, which I must avoid due to asthma.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

We have two Marriott in Doha, So i am not sure which one you are referring to.

But I can guess that you are talking about Doha Marriott because that is the one with private beach, there isn't much between the two hotels, but location is a key factor.

Doha Marriott is in middle of no where, nothing in walking distance. Sheraton is walking distance away from City Center mall, which is the biggest mall in Qatar.

Marriott has nice night club called pearl lounge while Sheraton has a pub Irish Harp.

Sheraton is in good location, lots of hotels\restaurants nearby and good shopping options.

Take Care

Beast666

Edited: 02 December 2013, 07:12
New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

SparkleAnnie, i am on my 10th day at the Marriott Exec Apts, Doha City Center, and other than some construction around the hotel, this place is a dream! There is a fabulous rooftop pool on the 7th floor, with spa, sauna, loungers, 2 gyms, plenty of restaurants/bars, and all kinds of shopping as the Doha City Center mall is attached to the hotel. No need to step outside unless you are out sightseeing.

And may i add, the staff here is absolutely amazing!

Pittsburgh
Level Contributor
63 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

Thanks so much- I think the Sheraton wins because of the location.

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

I presume you are using points to stay within the group? I like the Sheraton location. It is awaiting a refurbishment. dohanews.co/confusion-reigns-over-conflictin…

But it is a bit dated. I would probably choose the Doha city centre Marriott for luxury. The Irish harp is full of smoke and is not the nicest pub for a tourist. The Doha Marriott has great restaurants and bars. The Italian there has the best stone baked pizza in Doha.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

Doha Marriott does not have a Italian restaurant, it is most famous for its steakhouse.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Courtyard Doha City Center has a Italian called Cucina.

marriott.com/hotels/…

Sheraton is good choice for its location.

Take Care

Beast666

New Brunswick...
Level Contributor
74 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

May i add Beast666, that Cucina has the best lasagna on the planet! I was there Thursday night, and plan on going again tomorrow night.

The Marriott Courtyard and Marriott Exec Apt are attached together in the same building, along with the City Center mall, therefore making it very convenient, and easy access.

I agree with charlie_dog, this Marriott represents luxury at it's finest. A visit to the Saray Spa will most likely convince anybody of this.

The staff of this hotel is absolutely phenomenal.

As a tourist, speaking for myself, the Marriott was definately the best choice for me.

Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

I have stayed, dined and attended conferences in Marriott Courtyard hence I do agree that it has good dining options and exec apartments are also very nice. There is no doubt that it is a luxurious hotel.

Original post was comparison between "Doha Marriott" located in Ras abu Abod area near Airport and Sheraton. Comparison was not between "Mariott Courtyard" and Sheraton.

Between Doha Marriott and Sheraton i advised Sheraton for its location only.

Take Care

Beast666

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
121 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

We just booked a trip to Doha and ended up choosing the Marriott Courtyard, which is connected to the City Center Mall and short walking distance to the Corniche. A good friend who lives in Doha recommended the Courtyard or the Sheraton. We didn't need to be on the beach since we live on a beach so we chose the Courtyard.

Doha, Qatar
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

Grand Hyatt Is The Best and its few steps away from lagoona mall and the pearl island

Nottingham, United...
Level Contributor
852 posts
182 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel- Marriott or Sheraton?

I stand corrected for not using courtyard in my description of the Marriott brand hotel at city centre. The courtyard is my favourite tourist hotel in that area and the pizza is yummy. I think grand Hyatt is a bit out the way and with the roundabout ( arch or rainbow) being a mess I would not stay at grand Hyatt as the traffic is crazy !