We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
184 reviews
Save Topic
Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

Hello,

We will be arriving this Saturday noon to Doha (departing only the following morning) and staying the Oryx by the Airport. Looking for recommendations on how to spend a very relaxing time. I have a few questions:

1- What are the MUST see in Doha? I heard about the mosque (any specific time to go there?). We are not looking to see everything more to get a sense of Doha

2- Any restaurant recommendation? Mid range local or western would be good. Somewhere trendy where locals or expats go

3- How to get from Oryx to DT? How much would a taxi cost? Would it be practical to catch a bus

4- Do I need a Visa even though I stay by the Oryx?I suspect yes

Thanks for any recommendations

Mentioned in this post
Doha
Doha
Qatar
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

1) Must see Grand Mosque, Museum of Islamic Arts(MIA), Souq Waqif,. see if you have time Pearl Qatar and Katara.

2) Souq Waqif has many restaurants place is filled with tourist and residents alike, you can find Moroccan, Egyptian, Indian, Thai and sea food . Choose the one you like. As you have limited time in Qatar, it is better not to venture in the city to find restaurant.

3) I assume by Oryx you mean Oryx Rotanna, taxi from Oryx Rotanna to MIA or Souq would be around 15 QR, grand mosque would be around 20-25 QR. If you are going to Grand Mosque better to ask taxi to wait for you as it might be difficult to get taxi from there. Buses are not practical for you as tourist, avoid them.

4) To leave airport you need visa, if you are Canadian citizen, in that case you are entitled for visa on arrival, carry your bank card and pay approx 35 USD (no cash)

Take Care

Beast666

Mentioned in this post
MIA Park
MIA Park
352 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Souq Waqif
Souq Waqif
6,581 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
The Pearl-Qatar
The Pearl-Qatar
1,397 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

Thanks Beast!

I (think) I read that the souk is nice to visit in the evening, is that right? I guess MIA closes about 5-6PM?

And also: I did see from pictures that there are also high rise building in Doha. Is that the Pearl, or the Pearl is more of the residential area? And where to Pearl do I ask the driver to take me?

PS: Can we also get a cab from the street? I expect the Oryx Cabs to be expensive, unless they are metered Taxis.

Mentioned in this post
MIA Park
MIA Park
352 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Doha
Doha
Qatar
The Pearl-Qatar
The Pearl-Qatar
1,397 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Doha, Qatar
Destination Expert
for Qatar
Level Contributor
3,260 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

On Saturday MIA is open till 8 PM

Yes best time to visit souq is after dark

Most high rise buildings are in "West Bay" Area, which is on the way to pearl Qatar.

In pearl ask driver to drop you near Rolls Royce Showroom, Which is smack in middle of pearl, Make your way to marina on right first which is slightly more lively than left side. You will be walking along marina where boats are parked and restaurants and shops.

In Qatar metered taxis are Turquoise colored, I am not sure if they are line up right outside Oryx rotana but if you come out of hotel take right and than left from small round about, you will reach T-Junction take a right and you will see taxis lined up on your right this will be just outside Qatar Airways Tower 2. This is valid during day time, if you go straight there is a main road you are bound to find one from there.

Have a pleasant stay in Qatar

Take Care

Beast666

Mentioned in this post
MIA Park
MIA Park
352 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Qatar
Qatar
Middle East
Oryx Rotana Doha
Oryx Rotana Doha
2,728 Reviews
Doha, Qatar
Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
2,208 posts
184 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

thanks again beats for very detailed answer!

5. Re: Saturday PM and evening in Doha: what to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 January 2015, 06:19