We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Which Doha hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Leicester
1 post
Save Topic
What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Hi i am stopping over at Doha international airport for 13 hours in October this year. Can i leave the airport or do I need a Visa. If i can leave the airport what interstings things can i do as i arrive in the morning and leave at night. Do i need alot of Money? Please help as i have a fifteen hour wait when i come back as well and i need to do somthing interesting. Thanks in advance for your help.

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

I suggest you read the thread by Pernod Lady currently on top of Page 2.

One of the contributors USA Japan advises that if you are flying Qatar Airways with that sort of layover you will be entitled to free hotel , drinks and food etc.so I would check that out.

You can get a Visa at the airport for 50 Riyals ( about £8 ) and then Doha is your oyster.

I have posted elsewhere on taking a visit to the Souk where you can wander all day or take a trip along the Corniche to the fish quay and have a meal at Al Bandhar.

There is a huge shopping mall called City Center in West Bay about 5 miles from airport where you could go shopping or even go ice skating. Plenty of nice places for a meal there also.

Be aware that it can getvery hot indeed so take plenty of fluid and sun cream.

UK
Level Contributor
155 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

This is what Pernod Lady says in her thread --

Thanks very much usajapan. we've just got back and thanks to your info we asked about the options whilst we were in the airport on the way out, but didn't quite believe it until , on our return, they sent us to a desk where they gave us vouchers for a taxi, 2 rooms in the movenpick hotel, lunch, evening meal and drinks!Fantastic! Apparently it is available for anyone who has a layover of 8 hours or more.If I hadn't read your comment we may well have booked a hotel and paid for it ourselves in advance.The airline don't seem to publicise the fact, but they obviously have rooms booked constantly at all the big hotels. so we're very grateful to you! cheers

So check it out. ...

You can change money at the airport - I would think the equivalent of £50 would more than cover you for the day as a lot of places take credit cards. Depends really if you want to buy that hubbly bubbly pipe to take home........

London
Level Contributor
3 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Please be informed that effective today, 18 December 2006, Qatar Airways will no longer be offering the STPC arrangement to passengers with 8-24 hours transit in Doha.

QR will however honour all tickets already issued, as well as existing bookings with STPC arrangements, provided that all tickets are issued on / before 31st January 2007.

(Some airlines will provide accommodation & sometimes transfers, meals etc when passengers have long transit times, this is called STPC)

Stockholm
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Hi all,

I'm travelling ARN-DOH-SIN-DOH-ARN on QR, and we're having a 19hr stopover on the way back. There are shorter stopovers on alternating days, but we had no choice but to take this date, because of work reasons.

After reading the forum threads (Tripadvisor, Flyertalk, Thaivisa) I thought that the STPC option sounded like a great offer.

Since we're on Q class and a heavily discounted fare (ECORES), I had no hopes that we would be offered STPC for free, but the $100 topup sounded good enough.

So I first called our QR tickeing office in Stockholm. No go. They didn't acknowledge that the $100 topup option existed, and told me to contact Qatar Airways Holidays to book their "Discover Qatar Stopover Program".

I called QAH in DOH, but this so-called stopover program is a joke. Basically they're just selling hotel rooms on it's own, there's no package including transfers or meals or transit visas, you'll have to arrange each part separately. And the room prices they offer are more expensive that other online booking engines!

For genuine STPC, QAH told me to try my luck at the arrival desk in DOH after touchdown.

Since we're travelling with an infant, my wife wasn't too keen on gambling with hotel availability and waiting until arrival in DOH. So I called the QR ticketing office in SIN instead.

The customer service was great (thank you Ms Cee Kay!). QR confirmed that ECORES fare didn't include STPC, so they went ahead to amend/reissue our tickets with the STPC. For $200, we get a room for two at the Al Seef (not the same hotel as Doha Seef), all meals included, hotel transfer both ways and transit visas issued on the spot. No additional charge for the infant.

A great bargain, considering that hotels in DOH are usually $170 or more just for the twin room alone!

I had to go down to the QR office in SIN to swipe my credit card in person, they don't do "sign on file" over the phone.

Note that the STPC might only offered to citizens of those countries that are eligible for "visa on the spot".

And also note that QR need three working days to reissue the tickets and confirm the hotel booking, so don't request this last minute. The best thing would off course be to demand the STPC topup before the tickets are issued, but we didn't know.

In fact, Ms Cee Kay even asked me where I found out about the $100 offer, since QR doesn't advertise it. I told her about these forums, and she was very surprised...

aix en provence
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Hey I am just wondering whether I would be entitled to free vouchers etc during a 10 hour stop over at Doha even if I bought the tickets via expedia or govoyages? Or do i need to go through the airlines directly?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Where you bought your tickets is irrelevant.

The only thing that matters is the booking class. Get the full fare conditions, and check with Qatar Airwais what you're entitled to.

As long as you have the "right" passport, you should still be able to top up $100 and get the STPC package.

The Netherlands
1 post
Save Reply
7. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Hi, I am also stopping over at Doha airport. I arrive from tanzania at 19:30 in the evening. I can chose which flight I take back to london: 07:50 the nex day, or at 16:30 the next day. In either case i'll need a hotel room I gues.. Are there afordable hotels near the airport? I could also decide to stay the next day and visit the town for a few hours.. What do you guys think? Is it worth checking out the town for half a day? I have a Dutch passport, but I have been to Israel, so I have an Israeli Stamp in my passport, is that gonna be a problem at the border control?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

I can chose which flight I take back to london: 07:50 the nex day, or at 16:30 the next day. In either case i'll need a hotel room I gues.. Are there afordable hotels near the airport? I could also decide to stay the next day and visit the town for a few hours.. What do you guys think? Is it worth checking out the town for half a day? I have a Dutch passport, but I have been to Israel, so I have an Israeli Stamp in my passport, is that gonna be a problem at the border control?

Depends on your definition of affordable.

It seems that Qatar Airways use Al Seef Hotel for all their economy passengers who choose to pay the extra $100. It's located on Al Mathaf St (aka Museum Street).

From the airport, this is the nearest budget hotel area, but it's certainly not walking distance. The QA shuttle bus took 20 minutes to reach there.

When I was there, I noticed a string of hotels on the same street that feature scarcely or not at all on the internet.

The very cheapest one was a small "hole-in-the-wall" place called Dana Hotel just next door to Doha Seef Hotel. As you can see in this list, it's half the price compared to the rest of the lot:

www.qatarliving.com/node/8013#comment-44121

You can see the location of the hotels on that street here:

http://wikimapia.org/1193448/al-seef-hotel

That said, spending one day in Doha was a waste of time, IMHO.

The lack of taxis makes it impossible to move around, and the heat is too opressive to allow walking more than a few blocks. Really!

Since we were on STPC, we got all meals provided by the Al Seef hotel, but otherwise the restaurant options were very scarce and far inbetween. The infrastructure in Doha assumes you have a big SUV to move around! :P

UK
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

Hi

I just realised that the flight I want to take from CMB/DOH/LHR and return has a longish stopover on the way back. It used to be 8hrs+ and Qatar Airways used to provide a hotel room/transport/meals free of charge. But I notice they have niftily got around this by making the stopover 7hrs and 55 mins!!!

Very clever - but any suggestions. Anyone know if rooms available in Doha airport itself?

Stockholm
Level Contributor
26 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: What Can I do @ Doha Airport for 13 HOURS !!!

The sleeper cabins are in the first class lounge only:

www.airlinequality.com/Product/Lounge-QR.htm

flyertalk.com/forum/qatar-airways-privilege-…

If you're flying economy the only amenities available is the Oryx lounge seats, for a top-up fee.

IMHO, it's not worth the hassle going out of the airport, if you have to pay/arrange everything yourself (visa, taxi etc). It's hot and there's precious little to see or do.