We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Aleppo vs. Damascus

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Aleppo vs. Damascus

We are traveling Syria, Jordan, and Israel in 2 weeks, so our time is limited. We are American, but currently Turkish-resident middle-of-the-road travellers who particularly enjoy differing cultural experiences, some museums, and don't really care about expensive hotels or foods. I fear I must choose between Damascus or Aleppo. Which would you choose and why? Many thanks.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

Hi,

No choice between the two, you just have to cut dwn somewhere on yourprogram to do both Damascus and Aleppo!

Have a great time in Syria!

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,609 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

Damascus kind of easier to visit and to walk around in a couple of days.All tourists attractions are in the old walled city( one k m by 2 km long) you just walk and absorb the atmosphere,culture,heritage and charm.The Souq Hamedia,Great Mosque,Tomb of St,John,Saladin,Citadel, St.Pauls window,Hanania ,Via Recta and famous eating houses a real pleasure and experience not to be found any where else.

Aleppo is much bigger and kind of harder to cover in a short time.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
215 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

I would agree that if you can only do one, do Damascus and come back another time. We crammed in too much in our one week trip to Syria. We could have happily spent a full week in the Old City of Damascus wandering around, shopping, going to restaurants and exploring. Fabulous! We loved the Aleppo citidel, but if you don't have much time save it for a different trip.

London, United...
Level Contributor
34 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

We got back from Syria only yesterday and had a wonderful time, but NO DOUBT I would only go to Damascus if I had to choose. Aleppo, notwithstanding its charm and its great souks, is quite dirty unfortunately whereas we found Damas incredibly clean.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
16 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

Thanks for the helpful advice. I think it will have to be Damascus!

6. Re: Aleppo vs. Damascus

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2010, 05:16