We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single older traveller

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Topic
Single older traveller

Hi all:

I'm an older female wanting to visit Syria, but the hotel prices I see take my breath away.

Does anyone know if it is possible to find a reasonably priced single room or B&B?

And how much aggravation is walking around by yourself? done some of Africa and Central America so not especially timid, but do get annoyed.

TIA

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Single older traveller

Try find hostels and B&b offer cheaper accommodation and better atmoshpere for solo travelers.there are few mentioned on this forum

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Single older traveller

Thank you - will do.

Though the listings for B&Bs that I had already looked at, all seemed to be hotels with a breakfast option.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Syria, Aleppo, Jordan
Level Contributor
7,846 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Single older traveller

Hi again

You tell us where you want to travale and stay my self and others on the forum may be can recommend places hostel like for you.

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Single older traveller

Hi Tia,

You can try Damascus hostel, it is a wonderful friendly and CLEAN place in the old city, within walking distance of most tourist attractions in the old city.

their website is: http://www.damascushostel.com/

Have a great time in Damascus and Syria!

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Single older traveller

cybercrone

I am posting this as a 61 year old male with no friends so I have to go on holiday on my own and the next trip is a 3 week, 3 country jaunt around the Middle East with Syria as the last bit.

Like you I was quite shocked by hotel prices. Now I am not yet in a position to actually book anything because I am still looking at how I want to apportion the time between the 3 but I did a search on something like "hostels in Syria" and whilst still not desparately cheap it all tends to look better than the hotel booking sites. I would usually provide links but in this case some of the usual supects actually leave out Syria!

I an looking quite seriously at the place Sheik mentioned for Damascus but Aleppo, Hama and Palmyra do look a bit easier.

Hope this helps

John

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Single older traveller

Thanks for those suggestions. I have just started thinking about this trip, so need to do a lot more looking into it, itinerary planning and so on, but if there are clean, quiet, cheaper places to stay, can then get on with looking more.

Thanks again, and Merryy Christmas!

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Single older traveller

Hi John:

Merry Christmas to you.

I have friends and family - 6 grandkids even, but due to a very busy life with them and having 2 jobs for many years, decided I liked travelling on my own since it's the only time I can do just what *I* want, no consultations necessary.

It has worked out very enjoyably for me.

How is it to travel to Egypt now? Here in Canada they're advising not to, but I'd love to spend part of my time in Egypt and Turkey if I come.

bradford
Level Contributor
1,434 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Single older traveller

cybercrone

No-one can give you assurances about safety - things can and do happen. I do not think Turkey is going to give you any problems and I went to Egypt in February and never felt at all threatened. The only real problem was the hassle, it is relentless!

Not really sure about fitting a few of these places together. Flights from Egypt to Jordan and Syria do seem quite pricey. Turkey would be easier with a land border with Syria but it does depend where you want to go once there. I usually go to Icmeler but on 2 trips this year I did stopovers in Istanbul and Cappadocia and thoroughly enjoyed both. Domestic flights in Turkey can be pretty cheap and it would be around 1.5 hours from Hatay to Istanbul (on this trip I will actually be doing that flight and then on to London). Possibly a bit early for you but all internal flights can be found on

bulucak.com

Pegasus flights are almost always the cheapest so

flypgs.com

We have put off Xmas dinner until today so I am sure it is not too late to return your seasonal greetings so consider it done. Whatever you end up doing have a super time.

John

Toronto, ON, Canada
Level Contributor
19 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Single older traveller

Thanks John.

I do Christmas dinner today too. I just got tired of hassling about who was going to get which grandchildren and children for Christmas Day so I opted out, and it's Granny M's house on Boxing Day every year. Much simpler.

I often think that the level of "threat" that the newspapers trumpet is greatly overstated and have usually found that if you keep your eyes open and your wits about you and don't go into dodgy areas covered with cameras looking like you're asking to be taken advantage of, most places are fun and friendly. Glad to hear that Egypt may be an option that way, but sorry to hear that the flights are so expensive.

On to the research . . . .

Pretoria, South...
Level Contributor
774 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Single older traveller

Hi,

I missed your last sentence, no problem with aggravation, people are very friendly but not pushy. A great place to walk about is Madhat Pasha/ Straight street with wonderful old shops selling almost anything and it is great to scratch about the paraphernalia. You will be offered coffee or strong sweet tea by many shop owners while browsing around.

Just get yourself a good map of the Old City and enjoy yourself!