We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourist bus or taxi

Bristol
Level Contributor
169 posts
62 reviews
Save Topic
Tourist bus or taxi

We have just 24 hours in Dubai. The tourist bus costs about £40 and departs every 30 minutes. So for two of us it would cost £80

Would it be cheaper and/or more convenient to hire a taxi to take us to the various sites? I am a bit concerned about waiting in the heat for 30 minutes for the next bus and I understand taxis are plentiful cheap and easy to find

Arabian Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Desert Safari Dubai
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Day Trips
Khat Tours and Safaris
Sightseeing Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, City Tours, Private Tours, Safaris
Rayna Day Tours & Travels
City Tours, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Boat Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Bus Tours
Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tourist bus or taxi

Make yourself a list of places you want to visit and use a taxi. The tour bus is expensive and we were very disappointed in it. Having done bus tours in other countries this one rated poor.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
664 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tourist bus or taxi

Depending on where you want to visit you can combine metro and taxis. It will still be a lot cheaper and more enjoyable than the HOHO bus.

Bristol
Level Contributor
169 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tourist bus or taxi

Thanks for this - I will probably try to see most of the sites the tour bus visits - I definitely want to go to the gold souk. So should I try to book a taxi for the whole day, or just get one to go from A to B and then find another one. I doubt if we will have time to actually go into any of the buildings/palaces etc - more likely to stop, mooch around a bit, take some photos and move on. Do we have to haggle for each taxi fare?

Sorry to sound so pedantic but this is likely to be my one and only chance to experience Dubai and I want to get it right!

Staffordshire...
Destination Expert
for Staffordshire
Level Contributor
16,434 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tourist bus or taxi

The gold souk is well worth a visit and do be prepared to haggle. I don't haggle over taxi fares as they are metered anyway and very reasonable. Have a good time.

5. Re: Tourist bus or taxi

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 September 2014, 05:17