We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gold Souk Tips

British Columbia...
Level Contributor
69 posts
Save Topic
Gold Souk Tips

I have searched through the Dubai forums to get some info on buying gold and jewellery. I still have a few questions -

1. It seems to me that most people on this forum seem to prefer the Gold and Diamond park over the Gold Souk, is this the current consensus?

2. What is a good percentage to start haggling at? For example, go down 50% and expect to pay about 25% less than original price when everything is said and done. (ie, shopkeeper starts at $500, customer offers $250, finally buy at $375)

3. Are you able to get more of a discount on gold jewellery than gemstone/diamond jewellery?

Thanks everyone!

Glen Morangie
Level Contributor
581 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Gold Souk Tips

1. It is preferred in summer because it is a lot less sweaty and a more pleasant environment. In winter, the souk might make a more touristic outing.

2. If you had searched and got some info, you would have found that gold is sold by weight with a "making charge" on top. What you have to do is know the price of gold that day, check the weight, and then compute what has been added on as a "making charge". It is this making charge that you haggle.

www.dubaicityguide.com/theguides/gold.asp

3 Since you won't have an idea of the rates for stones, you will be at a disadvantage. The recommendation here would be to start at 50% - what have you got to lose? You know you will get it cheaper than their first offer; it's just a question of how much. When you tire of the game, walk away. If they let you go, you went past their limit. If they chase after you with a better offer you know that you are in the right region. With the amount of shops, you won't be short of alternatives.

california
Level Contributor
17 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Gold Souk Tips

i would not agree with the preference of gold and diamond park as for the whole experience of buyin is aweNsome at the souk where there are 10 times the shops.

bargaining is a must in dubai and after comparing the rates you will know where you stand at what jewellery.

i case you wanna know the recommended jewellers there are quite a lot of them .

bye

oxford
Level Contributor
193 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gold Souk Tips

I hvae only been to the gold souk so cant comment on the G&D Park, but if you want somewhere different I would recommend the souk, all the shops are air conditioned, I have shopped in Hemendra, GB Jewellers and Nanji Parshottam (? spelling) and never been disappointed also it is nice to go from the gold souk to the spice souk, just different from mall style shopping, but whaterver you choose to do have a great time.

4. Re: Gold Souk Tips

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 September 2009, 15:18