We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Derby
11 posts
Save Topic
Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Hi folks, my partner and I could be moving to Abu Dhabi and we have a 8 month yr old daughter. Is this a wise move do you think?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

You need to check out the legalities and practicalities of what you are thinking about doing.

Google the following "living together in the uae" and something like "living together in abu dhabi"

I am not trying to scare you, but you should be aware of some things before you make any decisions.

As you will see the legalities and the practicalities are different. You will also see it could complicate the residence visa process and I don't have any idea what the implications are for your 8 month old daughter.

Derby
11 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

My mistake, I actually got married a month ago and am just used to putting "my partner and I"....

We are indeed married with an 8 month yr old daughter. I guess this makes life a lot easier. I typed in what you said and it did seem tricky if we weren't! Stroke of luck heh!

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

I'm sure you will have a lot of fun in AD!

Bon chance.

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

If you do decide to go ahead then this book is a great investment before you get here.

Amazon normally have them.

We used the Dubai equivalent about 2 1/2 years ago and it gave us about 95% of the answers to our questions.

Derby
11 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

In your honest opinion and currently residing out there, would you say AD is friendly, safe, clean and a great place to live for a few years?

It's a huge move for us, never moved before, slightly nervous about the whole thing and need reassurance :o)

Thanks for your help!

Derby
11 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Which book was this?

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

In my haste forgot to put the link in:

explorerpublishing.com/products/…

Muscat, Oman
Level Contributor
5,655 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Yes

Yes

Yes

Yes, is the answer to your questions.

We actually live in Dubai but have been to AD for weekend breaks and honestly don't find it much different from DXB.

Our neighbours lived there for about 8 years and still have friends (with children) who live there and whom they visit on a very regular basis. They loved living there and only moved to DXB because of hubbie's job. There are several people who live there that look at this forum. I'm sure they will be able to help and reassure you as well.

Derby
11 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Fantastic! That's the book we currently have and are reading through. Seems to be very informative but it always pays to get first hand info from those that are currently out there!

If you are in contact with any of your friends out there please encourage them to read this post as all help is greatfully received!

Many thanks once again, we shall be out for a look next Wed for a 3 days so if you could point us in the right direction on where to go or anyone to have a chat with that would be fantastic!!!

Thanks!

Abu Dhabi
Level Contributor
66 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Moving to Abu Dhabi with 8 month old

Hi Peaflower,

You may want to check out http://abudhabiwoman.com

a forum for expat women in Abu Dhabi.