We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it worth it?

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
222 reviews
Save Topic
Is it worth it?

Hi I went to Dubai last year for New Year - having booked an hotel with pool which ended up in the shade the whole of the trip. Also, as you will know the pools and sea are to cold to swim in. We had to pay to go to other hotels for pool in the sun. So I'm looking at traders hotel with pool and beach. Would we be disappointed.

I'm looking at this hotel because it's New Year everything will be expensive. Also, it very suitable for my husband who uses a manual wheelchair.

Your thoughts please.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it worth it?

I see mention in the reviews that it's not really a beach hotel. Although I would disagree with that it does have a beach but the sea is a small stretch between the mainland (where the hotel is) and the main island of Abu Dhabi. The sea, as you mention, is rather cool at New Year but some people would swim at that time of year.

Abu Dhabi is not great for the physically challenged - high kerbs and steps in unexpected places. But I think this hotel would be one of the better places to stay for a wheelchair user and you can get to the Souq next door and Shangri-la hotel from the terrace.

There's a popular beach BBQ on Fridays in winter. Sorry I am not sure about the extent of the shade, but the hotel is very close to the beach and since the beach faces approximately north there would probably be shade from the hotel building. Abu Dhabi hotels that have their beaches a long way from the hotel include InterContinental and Emirates Palace - here you would never get shade from the hotel building on the beach.

ILME

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it worth it?

Apologies but I forgot to mention the Hilton which is another hotel with a beach that would never be shaded by the hotel building. All the other beach hotels I can think of are so close to their beach you would get deep shade at some point. I am sorry I can't be more definite with a reply but I usually search out shade from an umbrella or a palm tree :)

If you really want to find out for definite about Traders hotel and the extent of shade at the beach and pool then I suggest you send a private message (PM) to those who posted the most helpful reviews of Traders.

I hope this helps.

ILME

Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it worth it?

Thank you for your replies - both most helpful! Do you know the general cost/rate of day guests to other hotel i.e. like the hilton. We have used other hotel in Dubai and have paid between 100 - 150 dirhams.

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it worth it?

InterContinental charge 50 Dirhams per person on weekdays and 95 at weekends (Fri-Sat). The Hilton charges 150 Dirhams on weekdays and 185 at weekends. Abu Dhabi also has a large public beach on the Corniche which is cheap or free (depending on which part you go to). Sun loungers cost extra and you need to bring towels.

ILME

Edited: 29 March 2011, 17:40
Bedfordshire...
Level Contributor
807 posts
222 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it worth it?

Thankyou are there beaches better than traders? I thinking about looking at apart hotels as well. We would like to visit for a minimum of two weeks. Can you recommend any?

Abu Dhabi, United...
Level Contributor
4,012 posts
210 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it worth it?

I think all other beaches would be better than Traders. It's not that it's bad, it is just there's a lack of choice in Abu Dhabi for beach hotels. The apartment hotels are city based with a relatively small pool on the rooftop.

Frankly none of the beaches are great in Abu Dhabi and if I wanted a beach holiday I'd go somewhere with beach resorts like Australia, Sri Lanka, Maldives, Seychelles, Mauritius, Thailand, Cyprus, Egypt, Turkey, etc... But when my visitors come from the UK they usually go to the public beach, Hilton or InterContinental.

Apart from suggestions I've already given, Rotana has several properties you might consider, although the only one I know well is Beach Rotana which has good restaurants but shady beach and pool. You could look at the new Khalidya Palace which has a beach.

I hope this helps.

ILME

7. Re: Is it worth it?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 October 2012, 08:24